You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a dead iPad - how do I erase it?

This iPad is dead - won't connect to the internet or via cell signal. How do I erase the data on it before I recycle it?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular

Posted on Jan 30, 2019 10:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2019 10:56 AM

I think paying someone to fix it just so that I can wipe it clean before recycling is kind of crazy. I will go with physical destruction, I think. Thanks, though. All I wanted to find a way to prevent others from getting into the data on the device.

12 replies

Jan 30, 2019 11:15 AM in response to PortlandJules

You may not need to pay them to fix it. If you want to go ahead with the crushing, just have them take the battery out. That’s where the chemicals are. Or disassemble it yourself to remove the battery, crush teh rest and recycle the battery. I’m fairly confident you can drop the battery off at Best Buy.

They may even be able to help you in removing the battery, you’d just need to ask if they charge or if they’d just do it for you

I have a dead iPad - how do I erase it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.