Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase iPad that doesn't work.

My iPad Pro 12.9 inch, 1st gen, died today. I can't get it to work at all. Sometimes an Apple logo appears on it briefly when I press a button. I have ordered a new iPad. Apple wants me to send the old on in for recycling. How can I be sure that it has no recoverable data on it if I can't turn it on?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 5:56 AM

I don't know, iCloud gave me the option to remove the cards so I did. I suspect the card information is not actually on the device, but comes from iCloud when needed. Anyway, thanks everyone for helping. Now I'm waiting for my new iPad, which thanks to supply shortages isn't scheduled to arrive until mid March.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 5:56 AM in response to Demo

I don't know, iCloud gave me the option to remove the cards so I did. I suspect the card information is not actually on the device, but comes from iCloud when needed. Anyway, thanks everyone for helping. Now I'm waiting for my new iPad, which thanks to supply shortages isn't scheduled to arrive until mid March.

Jan 28, 2022 5:57 PM in response to Robin Reed1

If the device will not power up, nobody can get into it. If you have a passcode set on the device, and if it powered up by some miracle, they would need to know the password in order to get in.

I’m not sure how you could remove the credit cards in iCloud if the device won’t power up. You can go through these steps if you want to try to erase the device in iCloud.

Erase a device in Find My iPhone on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Erase iPad that doesn't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.