Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I erase a dead iPad?

My less-than-three-year-old, always at home iPad Air suddenly would not start, and was pronounced dead at the Apple Store. I just inquired via Apple phone support about how to erase it before recycling, and they told me could do so via FindMy.

Is that really true?

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 16

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 11:29 AM

kitfromny Said:

"How do I erase a dead iPad?:My less-than-three-year-old, always at home iPad Air suddenly would not start, and was pronounced dead at the Apple Store. I just inquired via Apple phone support about how to erase it before recycling, and they told me could do so via FindMy. Is that really true?"

-------

Erasing a Device with Find My:

If this ever gets connected to the Internet, then Find My would erase it in an instant with Find My. Learn more here:

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2023 11:29 AM in response to kitfromny

kitfromny Said:

"How do I erase a dead iPad?:My less-than-three-year-old, always at home iPad Air suddenly would not start, and was pronounced dead at the Apple Store. I just inquired via Apple phone support about how to erase it before recycling, and they told me could do so via FindMy. Is that really true?"

-------

If this ever gets connected to the Internet, then Find My would erase it in an instant with Find My. Learn more here:

Feb 1, 2023 4:08 PM in response to kitfromny

Unless you are able to successfully restart the iPad, you will not be able to erase the iPad.

To erase the iPad from iPad settings, you must be able to successfully enter your Passcode. Similarly, to erase the iPad using Find My, the iPad must be powered-on and have an active WiFi or Cellular Network connection. As such, a “dead” iPad cannot be erased.

However, this situation is perhaps not as serious as you might think…

Your iPad has an encrypted file-system. All locally stored data is encrypted at rest - and cannot be accessed. The only copy of the encryption keys, that are required to access locally stored data, is securely locked away in the iPad’s dedicated security chip (i.e., the Secure Enclave).

To access the encryption keys, your iPad must a) be running - and (b) your iPad Passcode successfully entered; your Passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave - which in turn releases the encryption keys to the Operating System such that data can be decrypted.

Without your Passcode, your locally stored data will remain beyond reach. If the iPad cannot restart, the encryption keys can never be accessed by anyone. Given that the Passcode is known only to you - and the iPad is dead - all locally stored data is fully secure.

If you return your dead iPad to Apple, it will be responsibly dismantled and recycled.

Feb 2, 2023 7:19 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for your responses, good to know. But the story has a happier ending! I took the iPad the next day to an authorized shop for a 2nd opinion. They started it. Their diagnostics found nothing, they gave a few good tips to maintain its health, and would not accept payment. I only went to the Store because they had an earlier appointment, and after, called support about safely recycling it. (It was a senior advisor who confidently told me a dead device could be erased with FindMy.) I've owned Macs since the 80s. In my experience, Apple Support hasn't been very helpful for a while, but this was a new low.

Feb 1, 2023 12:22 PM in response to kitfromny

kitfromny Said:

"How do I erase a dead iPad?: How would it connect to the internet if it cannot be turned on, screen is black, and Apple says it will never accept a charge?"

-------

You couldn't get it connect until does so them selves on this. But, as long as you still have this account open, and Find My enabled on it, then it would be erased. Elsewise, there's really nothing you can do but seek it out.

Feb 2, 2023 7:28 AM in response to kitfromny

Presumably your iPad is now running with the problem resolved. If so, as you observe, a happier ending.

As for your experience with an in-store experience - and the incorrect information that you received - this is not characteristic of the usual hight standards of knowledge and expertise that can normally be expected of Apple.

Please try not to be too disheartened by this uncharacteristically poor experience of Apple Support.

How do I erase a dead iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.