Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX to Compressor - Compressor giving me only black?

I asked this on the Compressor site, but haven't heard back. I've sent a project directly from the FCPX timeline to Compressor. End result was a 'black' video. No image. So I then made an FCPX version, directly out of FCPX, and THEN imported that master into Compressor to make a different codec version ... still the same, black frames.

Just wondering if something has changed with Compressor in one of the recent iterations?

A pain too, as I can't see how to export straight out of FCPX as a selectively set up format. The H264 coming out of FCPX is 5 GB as opposed the Compressor at 1.8 GB.

At a quandary.

Ben

Posted on Jan 30, 2019 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2019 2:14 PM

If you drag some other video to Compressor or if you choose some other export options in Compressor, does that work?

Also:

You may try something that often helps with weird problems in FCP X: deleting preferences. It works the same way in Compressor: hold down command and option while starting Compressor and click Delete Preferences. It does not hurt to try.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2019 2:14 PM in response to Ben Low

If you drag some other video to Compressor or if you choose some other export options in Compressor, does that work?

Also:

You may try something that often helps with weird problems in FCP X: deleting preferences. It works the same way in Compressor: hold down command and option while starting Compressor and click Delete Preferences. It does not hurt to try.

Jan 30, 2019 4:34 PM in response to Alchroma

Hi Al. Left the cutting room. Just finished homemade lasagna compliments of me Mum. Now for two rounds of Elementary - American Sherlock Holmes, terrific. I’ll follow up first thing in the morning ... I’m pretty sure timeline is 4K 24fps, camera was GH5, probably shooting 4:2:2 400mbps. I was just using the default Vimeo 4K setting in Compressor, except for bumping the bps (or whatever it’s called) up to 30,000 - which I’ve done many times before with no issues.

First thing in the morning I’ll re-install Compressor, and report in here.

All the best A,

B

Jan 31, 2019 9:43 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis, Hi Al,

I re-installed Compressor. It's still not working. Now instead of a black image it's just never completing the compression ... meaning it stalls at the very end and never completes. Yesterday I managed to get a thirty second piece through. But it seems as if something is seriously off with Compressor. The codec coming from FCPX is 'avc1', with Linear PCM audio. I've never had an issue with it before, pretty standard stuff... in this case produced by a GH5 and an EVA-1.

For right now I just made a ProRes 422HQ straight out of FCPX, and am having Quicktime make me the H264. Very slow process I'm noticing. Dang. I remember Compressor used to crank out a 10 minute H264 in under half an hour. All a mystery to me right now. And I'm also wondering how big the file is going to be....

No answers yet ... and I'm not finding much about Compressor out in the web either.

FCPX to Compressor - Compressor giving me only black?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.