Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What’s the Grey Bars in Screen Time?

What do the Grey Bars in Screen Time mean? I think it’s time spent on no app but idle or something, is that true?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Jan 31, 2019 1:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 8:08 AM

None of these answers are correct, unfortunately. Just waiting for Apple tom chime in! My daughters phone shows she used it for a total of 2.5 hours yesterday, however when I add up all of the time that is shown being used in ALL categories including "other" it is off by more than an hour. The screentime app does NOT show any details about what is being used in the gray bar area, but that is where ALL of her time was being used yesterday. I have app limit restrictions set, so I have a feeling she's found a way around them since there's so much gray area.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2019 8:08 AM in response to ChaosWolf1

None of these answers are correct, unfortunately. Just waiting for Apple tom chime in! My daughters phone shows she used it for a total of 2.5 hours yesterday, however when I add up all of the time that is shown being used in ALL categories including "other" it is off by more than an hour. The screentime app does NOT show any details about what is being used in the gray bar area, but that is where ALL of her time was being used yesterday. I have app limit restrictions set, so I have a feeling she's found a way around them since there's so much gray area.

Dec 4, 2019 12:16 AM in response to ChaosWolf1

The grey bars at least in my case are when the phone is in use for audio based functions: Spotify and podcasts. after reading these posts I took the dog for a walk and listened to a podcast for 40 minutes. My screen time shows 40 minutes of grey for that hour. Test it out yourselves and see if this is right. It fits with in general my usage of audio content.

Nov 16, 2019 2:09 PM in response to LRank218

Yes! Where are you Apple?!! This makes no sense at all! My son has many hours of grey on his phone that don’t add up with game usage at all. You need to explain this properly as it could be a great option for us parents with troublesome teenagers and their device usage but if we are reading it incorrectly, it’s a total waste of time! Why aren’t you talking???? I’m wondering if it’s time listening to music???

Jun 5, 2019 10:43 PM in response to ChaosWolf1

These replies are rubbish. The grey bar is not ‘others’. In my screen time, there’s already an others category. Try again; this time I want something definite answer from Apple, not some wild guesses from the masses. Otherwise, screen time goes in the great rubbish heap of useless apps. Like the Fitbit app and the Versa, which was a waste of $230. I don’t spend money on expensive hardware that doesn’t produce.

Jul 19, 2019 9:00 PM in response to ChaosWolf1

It’s an other-others category. When viewing screen time, click “show categories”. Here you’ll see the few color coded categories, for example as in the original post: creativity, social networking, reading & reference. The rest of the categories listed under “show categories” are the groups that will show in the bar graph as grey.

Furthermore, if you delete an app after using it for some time- such as Instagram. Say you have it downloaded for the day, and use it 2 hours, but decide to delete it.... instagram will not show as an app in screen time, nor will it show under social networking. Instead, the time spent on Instagram will show as a grey bar, but with no data in “show categories” or in “show apps & websites”. If you re-install Instagram, it will then show as normal in screen time.

Dec 11, 2019 3:32 PM in response to Doigdoig

That sounds about right, but it seems like FaceTime without video also falls into that gray category. And because of it, my daughter is able to talk to her friends for hours and it never gets block. It is extremely frustrating. Sure, I can disable FaceTime, but there are times when it is good to use, especially with other family members. Instead I have been using the OurPact app. She hates the app, but it is the only sure way I can limit the amount of time she uses her phone during the day.

What’s the Grey Bars in Screen Time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.