Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Max battery drains too fast while using Navigation apps.

The question is very specific. Since recently my XS Max, drains the battery to less than 20% from 100% when using navigation app for not more than 40mts. I use Google maps or Waze and no difference on either. This is just recent and not when the phone was bought. Well it is still new just a few months old. I have to have the car charger plugged in if I need to save any battery life. It sucks as I can't use it while I'm cycling, unless I've got a battery pack. That is not convenient. My old iPhone 6 does much better.

Is this something to live with or is there any software update in the works to address this?

Posted on Jan 31, 2019 9:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2019 9:23 PM

There are few things that can be done from your end...

1. Enable Low Power Mode
  2. Download the App and Use Offline Mode using in-built GPS on iPhone
  3. Battery drains fastest over Cellular compared to Wifi or Bluetooth
  4. To improve battery life, you can turn off the feature that allows apps to refresh in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and select Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi & Mobile Data, or Off to turn off Background App Refresh entirely.
  5. If the Mail app lists Background Activity, you can choose to fetch data manually or increase the fetch interval. Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Fetch New Data.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2019 9:23 PM in response to nealfromdubai

There are few things that can be done from your end...

1. Enable Low Power Mode
  2. Download the App and Use Offline Mode using in-built GPS on iPhone
  3. Battery drains fastest over Cellular compared to Wifi or Bluetooth
  4. To improve battery life, you can turn off the feature that allows apps to refresh in the background. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and select Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi & Mobile Data, or Off to turn off Background App Refresh entirely.
  5. If the Mail app lists Background Activity, you can choose to fetch data manually or increase the fetch interval. Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Fetch New Data.

iPhone XS Max battery drains too fast while using Navigation apps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.