Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover data from Empty Mac Trash Folder?

Hi, My children have accidentally deleted files of size 50-80 GB from the hard drive as well as from the Trash Folder of my Mac machine.

Is there any probability of data recovery from Mac Trash Folder or my data have gone completely? Also, I don’t have TimeMachine backups available. Please help me so that I can restore my data back from Empty Trash Folder.

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 31, 2019 10:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2019 2:57 AM

The data recovery from the empty Mac Trash folder is possible, but not guaranteed. This is because once you delete a specific file or a group of files, then you just have to remove the entry only instead of the file itself. First, the space of this deleted file will be marked as "available" for writing new piece of information onto the Mac HD. Accordingly, once the new data occupies the marked area for "available" on the user macOS hard drive, then it is getting hard for any data recovery software for Mac available in the market to retrieve the replaced and overwritten files.

The sooner you will stop using your Mac computer so that no other files gets over-written on it, the more are chances of deleted data recovery from the Empty Trash folder. This is the main reason, why Mac backups comes handy so that in case of any data loss problems, one can easily restore the files back to the HD.

You can also give a free download to the below discussed Mac data recovery software and check whether they are capable to retrieve your deleted files or not. I have found great success in the past when I have deleted my Mac files and successfully restore them back. Hope they will also prove helpful for you also.

1. EaseUs Mac File Recovery

2. TechSoftwareLogic Data Recovery Mac Software

3. TestDisk

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2019 2:57 AM in response to rober80

The data recovery from the empty Mac Trash folder is possible, but not guaranteed. This is because once you delete a specific file or a group of files, then you just have to remove the entry only instead of the file itself. First, the space of this deleted file will be marked as "available" for writing new piece of information onto the Mac HD. Accordingly, once the new data occupies the marked area for "available" on the user macOS hard drive, then it is getting hard for any data recovery software for Mac available in the market to retrieve the replaced and overwritten files.

The sooner you will stop using your Mac computer so that no other files gets over-written on it, the more are chances of deleted data recovery from the Empty Trash folder. This is the main reason, why Mac backups comes handy so that in case of any data loss problems, one can easily restore the files back to the HD.

You can also give a free download to the below discussed Mac data recovery software and check whether they are capable to retrieve your deleted files or not. I have found great success in the past when I have deleted my Mac files and successfully restore them back. Hope they will also prove helpful for you also.

1. EaseUs Mac File Recovery

2. TechSoftwareLogic Data Recovery Mac Software

3. TestDisk

Jan 31, 2019 10:37 PM in response to rober80

You must stop using it at all until you can see what to recover...

Data Rescue...

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

Virtual Lab...

http://www.binarybiz.com/vlab/mac.php?PHPSESSID=48b398a7879fa364a82736a2b9bf955a

You need another HD with plenty of space to recover to.

You should use another Boot Disk or other Mac with this one in Target mode to do the recovery.

They have a free demo to see what it could recover.

rccharles on file recovery...

"Stellar Phoenix Macintosh - Mac data recovery software, recovers data from damaged, deleted, or corrupted volumes and even from initialized disks."

They have a trial version, so I guess you can see if your data can be recovered...

http://www.stellarinfo.com/mac-data-recovery.htm

FileSalvage is an extremely powerful Macintosh application for exploring and recovering deleted files from a drive or volume. FileSalvage is designed to restore files that have:

* been accidentally deleted.

* become unreadable due to media faults.

* been stored on a drive before it was re-initialized/formatted.

http://subrosasoft.com/OSXSoftware/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

Feb 1, 2019 3:49 AM in response to BDAqua

@BDAqua, I have used both Data Rescue for Mac as mentioned by you. However, after installing and using it, it is taking time to scan the hard drive for data recovery. Also, one ad-blocker gets installed automatically when I was installing this data rescue program. However, thanks for your suggestion.

How to recover data from Empty Mac Trash Folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.