Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a word-count built into safari

For my work I have to fill in frequent reports online and am often restricted to a certain number of words. Is there a quick way within Safari that I can do a word (and letter) check, or a decent add-in I can install? Thank you

MacBook Pro 15", 10.14

Posted on Feb 1, 2019 3:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2019 6:36 AM

Option 1: Use a bookmarklet. Drag the Word Count bookmarklet in the centre of this page to your bookmarks bar. Select some text and click the bookmarklet. If you don’t use ⌘-1 through ⌘-9 to switch tabs (deselected in Safari > Preferences > Tabs, you can use ⌘ and the number corresponding to the ordinal position of the bookmarklet from left to right in your bookmarks bar. So if the bookmarklet is second from the left the keyboard shortcut would be ⌘-2. Hit the ESC key to dismiss the modal popup.

Option 2: Install the free WordService by DEVONtechnologies from the Mac App Store. Included is the Statistics service which you access from the contextual menu when you Control-click or right-click and scroll to the Services menu item. You can also set a keyboard shortcut by navigating to > System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services. The advantage of this option is that it is system-wide.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2019 6:36 AM in response to Tractorgirl

Option 1: Use a bookmarklet. Drag the Word Count bookmarklet in the centre of this page to your bookmarks bar. Select some text and click the bookmarklet. If you don’t use ⌘-1 through ⌘-9 to switch tabs (deselected in Safari > Preferences > Tabs, you can use ⌘ and the number corresponding to the ordinal position of the bookmarklet from left to right in your bookmarks bar. So if the bookmarklet is second from the left the keyboard shortcut would be ⌘-2. Hit the ESC key to dismiss the modal popup.

Option 2: Install the free WordService by DEVONtechnologies from the Mac App Store. Included is the Statistics service which you access from the contextual menu when you Control-click or right-click and scroll to the Services menu item. You can also set a keyboard shortcut by navigating to > System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services. The advantage of this option is that it is system-wide.

Is there a word-count built into safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.