Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain during standby on iPad & iPhone

Hi,

Since few months, I have noticed that my iPhone had a poor battery life during standby. It's an iPad Air 2, so I've decided to change the battery..... I've started from a fresh install without restore a backup.

But the battery issue was still there....

I loose about 10% per day in standby mode.

I've tested many scenarios to analyse the origin of the issue.

When I logged off my iCloud account, the issue disappears, when I'm logged in, it appears again.

If I am in airplane mode, that's ok. So it seems to be iCloud related....

I've though about iCloud Photos Library.... I've deleted and disabled it...

Same thing about Notes, Safari, Keychain, iMessage Sync, Reminders,.... everything on iCloud ! Nothing changed !

I've decided to create a new iCloud account..... I've spent many hours to configure again my devices.....

The issue was still there ! The only common point between my iCloud accounts was...... HomeKit.

Now, I don't know how to investigate.... I will try to disable my Apple TV, reset my router, see if I have the problem out of my LAN.....

Does anyone has an idea ?

Posted on Feb 1, 2019 7:04 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Feb 1, 2019 8:46 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I've tested the following scenario:

2 iPads Air freshly installed with iOS 12.1.3 at 100% of battery:

• iPad 1 connnected to my iCloud account (with no apps and almost no photos & data on iCloud.... but HomeKit)
  • iPad 2 connected to another iCloud account (with no apps but lots of photos & data on iCloud and no Homekit)

2 days later (after standby)

• iPad 1 < 80 % of battery
  • iPad 2 at 95% of battery

Same results if I invert both iPads > my iCloud account = battery drain even with a new iCloud account. Common point = HomeKit enabled on my iCloud account.

My wife's iPad is an old iPad mini with lots of apps and which has never been restored. Mine is a fresh and new iPad with nothing on it.

Don't seem to be normal.

At work, I can leave my professional iPad more than a week without charging it. At home, I need to charge it every 4 days without using it so much.

Feb 11, 2019 11:18 AM in response to El_Marti

Hi,

I've made some investigations this weekend and found that the Philips Hue Bridge provokes lots of IGMP requests from my devices connected to the iCloud account which have rights to access the Homekit configuration. Every 30 seconds, my devices send IGMP requests. When I disconnect the Hue Bridge, IGMP requests are every 10 minutes. I don't have this behaviour with other HomeKit accessories.....

This is the analysis of my iPad when Hue bridge is connected (I am currently collecting the same information while Hue Bridge is disconnected):

I have contacted Philips for this...... I will complete this discussion if I have more details.....

Feb 4, 2019 1:41 PM in response to LotusPilot

Hi,

Maybe I didn't specify it but I currently don't use my iPad as e HomeKit hub ! And that's the problem....

My HomeKit hub is my Apple TV.

If it was a hub, I could understand this amount of traffic but it's not !

And all my devices suffers with it, iPhone, iPad.... if my Hue bridge is connected.

Here is a trafic without Hue....

The software used for this measure is "Instruments", delivered with Xcode (free to install). After having plugged one time your device, you will have a "Developer" menu in Settings and you can record logs for network and energy without having the device plugged.

Very useful (I discovered it last week !).

Feb 1, 2019 7:35 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Perhaps, should I say "I loose at least 10% a day".

I precise that my iPad is not HomeKit hub so why should I loose so much battery ?

Also.... I've changed my iPad so the battery is new. I've tested with another one, still the same issue if connected to my iCloud account.

My wife's iPad only loose 3 % per day and she also have access to HomeKit (not as admin).

Yesterday, I have lost about 15% without using it ! (it equals of 1h of youtube with full brightness).

Feb 1, 2019 8:30 AM in response to El_Marti

Nothing about what you're describing sounds unusual. Unless your wife has exactly the same apps and the same data and uses her device in exactly that same way as yours, it may be different. Still normal.

Make sure that you're plugging your device in at night, making sure that it's connected to WiFi and lock the screen. It will do the bulk of the backing up overnight. And, your iPad will be fully charged and ready to go in the morning.

Feb 4, 2019 2:28 AM in response to El_Marti

You’re clearly adept with your network analysis - so I’ll not delve into the basics which you’ve already covered in some detail.

I’m sure you should appreciate that if you are using your iPad as a HomeKit hub, it’ll be responding to and processing traffic for all your HomeKit devices - and this must have some impact on battery usage, even when apparently inactive with screen off.

As an alternative to using your iPad as your HomeKit hub, have you considered offloading the hub function to your AppleTV?

Your iPad has the abilty to provide hub functionality in abscence of alternatives - if it is permanently present on the network - but it may not be the most appropriate device to provide HomeKit hub services if you have an AppleTV or an Apple HomePod - both of which are effectively “static” devices with permanent connection to power and are intended to provide HomeKit hub services.

Out of curiosity, what App are you using in your illustration to measure activity on your iPad?

Feb 4, 2019 3:56 PM in response to El_Marti

Okay, so you’re using the AppleTV as your HomeKit hub. That’s cleared-up one variable.

Given the nature of multicast traffic, all devices on your local network (assuming a “flat” network with a single subnet) are going to receive and potentially process these packets; we know that whilst the iPad is apparently sleeping, many background tasks (such as email push and fetch) are still accessing the network - and is likely monitoring multicast and other traffic. All this processing consumes battery power, especially if the iPad NIC is never allowed to sleep because of a “chatty” device.

You could try looking through the Apple Developers documentation for clues as to what the iPad is “up to” when apparently idle.

Another throught - your home router may have some configurable multicast settings that you can tune - such IGMP Snooping. Not all home routers have such options, especially ISP-supplied “domestic” kit which tends to be kept as simple as possible for the “general masses”. You may have to consider being creative in segregating network segments - perhaps having a seperate subnet for your HomeKit devices.

Feb 5, 2019 3:02 AM in response to LotusPilot

My tests are made from an empty iPad. No apps, only iCloud connected.

IGMP snooping prevent devices which are not in a multicast group to receive requests. In my case, my iPad is in the group because it can control Homekit like my iPhone....

So the problem seems to be the frequency of IGMP requests emitted by Hue bridge. I have other accessories which don’t provoke this behaviours.

Feb 5, 2019 3:29 AM in response to El_Marti

Absolutely so. IGMP snooping being active on the network switch allows the switch to only send IGMP traffic to hosts that require it - rather than flood the entire subnet with multicast traffic.

This has two significant benefits, in that:

• it reduces traffic on a contended nerwork segment (remember, unlike wired ethernet, a WiFi cell is a shared/contended half duplex network segment)

• it eliminates packet processing overhead for devices that don’t need to see the multicast packets (for battery operated devices, extending battery life)

So, in conclusion, if your iPad must be a member of the broadcast domain, you’ll need to accept that the processing overhead associated with multicast traffic will have a negative impact on battery life for battery operated devices. If it were me, to improve network performance, I’d certainly attempt network segmentation by subnet or VLAN in addition to employing IGMP Snooping.

If the Hue bridge, necessary for protocol conversion, cannot be be “tuned” to reduce what appears to a polling interval - and network sementation impractical - there appears to be little else you can do with what you have.

Have you contacted Philips technical support to discuss your issue?

I hope that our conversation has provided some help and/or insight into possible improvements to your setup.

Feb 5, 2019 3:51 AM in response to LotusPilot

One final thought comes to mind...

If your iPad exhibits increased battery consumption when configured to interact with HomeKit devices while it is configured to sync with your iCloud account, have you tried disabling iCloud for “Home”?

Settings > [Your AppleID/iCloud account] > iCloud > Home - set to OFF

Perhaps, despite wanting to control HomeKit devices from your iPad, you don’t actually “need” to allow it to sync to your iCloud account? If multicast packets are triggering an iCloud sync (pending additional research, speculation on my part) every time your iPad is polled, this would introduce an additional processing and consequent battery overhead.

Battery drain during standby on iPad & iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.