Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dropping wifi connection

I have been losing the internet connection on my MacBook Pro (2016) at random intervals. When I try to reconnect, sometimes the wifi signal from the router does not show up, yet it is present and the internet connection remains OK on my iPhone. I have to turn off the wifi on the Mac and reboot the modem to re-establish wifi and internet connections.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Any suggestions for identifying and fixing this intermittent problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15", 10.14

Posted on Feb 1, 2019 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2019 1:50 PM

You don't have to reboot your mac. The reason why it works when you reboot is because it re-asignes you an IP address. Look at the picture below.

First you open Network Preferences click on the padlock at the bottom left corner and then you enter an admin username and password. Then you go to advanced. Then you locate the TCP/IP tab. Once you are on that tab, you click renew DCP lease. Then you exit out of advanced by clicking on the "Ok" button in the bottom right corner. Once you are out, you will see an Apply/ Revert button at the bottom right corner. Press apply and then click the lock.

[Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information]

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2019 1:50 PM in response to Ilan.klsc

You don't have to reboot your mac. The reason why it works when you reboot is because it re-asignes you an IP address. Look at the picture below.

First you open Network Preferences click on the padlock at the bottom left corner and then you enter an admin username and password. Then you go to advanced. Then you locate the TCP/IP tab. Once you are on that tab, you click renew DCP lease. Then you exit out of advanced by clicking on the "Ok" button in the bottom right corner. Once you are out, you will see an Apply/ Revert button at the bottom right corner. Press apply and then click the lock.

[Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information]

dropping wifi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.