Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big rectangle/oval icon on iPad status bar top right when screen is locked

Does anyone know what this new —at least to me— icon on top at the right corner means?

It first appeared yesterday and it’displayed when my iPad is locked. Thank you.

iPad mini, 12

Posted on Feb 1, 2019 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2019 9:08 AM

The oval “blob” is bug introduced in iOS12 - and seemingly affects only the older Cellular models of iPad. When it occurs, the blob obscures the Cellular signal-strength indicator, regardless of having a SIM being present in the SIM tray.

Thus far, the problem has not been resolved in any of iOS12 point-releases - athough, with installation of an update, the blob has been seen to temporarily “clear” but return some time (often many days) later. The specific trigger has not been identified.

Thus far, the problem appears to be cosmetic only.

It is suggested that you file a report via the Apple feedback channel:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

I hope this information is helpful - if only to put your mind at rest in knowing that this is both a known issue and that you’re not alone.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2019 9:08 AM in response to rudi673

The oval “blob” is bug introduced in iOS12 - and seemingly affects only the older Cellular models of iPad. When it occurs, the blob obscures the Cellular signal-strength indicator, regardless of having a SIM being present in the SIM tray.

Thus far, the problem has not been resolved in any of iOS12 point-releases - athough, with installation of an update, the blob has been seen to temporarily “clear” but return some time (often many days) later. The specific trigger has not been identified.

Thus far, the problem appears to be cosmetic only.

It is suggested that you file a report via the Apple feedback channel:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

I hope this information is helpful - if only to put your mind at rest in knowing that this is both a known issue and that you’re not alone.

Feb 3, 2019 9:23 AM in response to rudi673

Hello rudi673,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you have a question about an icon appearing on your iPad.

I notice you have a "No SIM" alert in the top left of your display. Did you make any changes to your SIM/cellular usage shortly before this appeared? If you tap the icon, do you see any messages?

Does it go away if you Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?

Is your iPad running iOS 12.1.3 under Settings > General > About? If not, here's How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

I hope this helps get you started.

Take care.

Feb 4, 2019 7:30 AM in response to jeremy_v

Thank jeremy_v for you reply,

regarding iOS my iPad is up-to-date (with 12.1.2), I didn't make any change (that I'm aware of) on my SIM/cellular settings before the icon appeared and it doesn't go away if I restart my device.

Please, note that I haven't experienced any dysfunction so far, I was only curious to find out what it means but couldn't find any clue elsewhere —this is why I decided to post here.

I wonder if updating to iOS 12.1.3 would solve it — currently, under Settings > etc. my iPad seems to be running the latest operating system for my iPad (12.1.2).

Again, I've had no problems so far whatsoever.

Thank you, —R.

Big rectangle/oval icon on iPad status bar top right when screen is locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.