Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does reset all settings erase known wifi networks and passwords?

I forgot my iphone encrypted backup password.

Apparently the only way to reset it is to "reset all settings".

My question is, does reset all settings erase known wifi networks and passwords?

It would be a big headache for me if I had to remember and enter all the wifi passwords again especially for the connect automatically networks where I did not keep a record of the password.

This is on an iPhone 7 with IOS 12.1.3.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

iPhone 7, 12

Posted on Feb 2, 2019 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2019 11:34 AM

You are correct in that resetting all settings would not effect the password for an existing encrypted backup but resetting all settings would allow you to set a new password for future backups which is what I want to do.

From the apple support web site:

"If you can’t remember the password for your encrypted backup

You can’t restore an encrypted backup without its password. With iOS 11 or later, you can make a new encrypted backup of your device by resetting the password. Here’s what to do:

1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset All Settings and enter your iOS passcode.
  3. Follow the steps to reset your settings. This won't affect your user data or passwords, but it will reset settings like display brightness, Home screen layout, and wallpaper. It also removes your encrypted backup password.
  4. Connect your device to iTunes again and create a new encrypted backup.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2019 11:34 AM in response to KiltedTim

You are correct in that resetting all settings would not effect the password for an existing encrypted backup but resetting all settings would allow you to set a new password for future backups which is what I want to do.

From the apple support web site:

"If you can’t remember the password for your encrypted backup

You can’t restore an encrypted backup without its password. With iOS 11 or later, you can make a new encrypted backup of your device by resetting the password. Here’s what to do:

1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset All Settings and enter your iOS passcode.
  3. Follow the steps to reset your settings. This won't affect your user data or passwords, but it will reset settings like display brightness, Home screen layout, and wallpaper. It also removes your encrypted backup password.
  4. Connect your device to iTunes again and create a new encrypted backup.

Does reset all settings erase known wifi networks and passwords?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.