Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't connect to internet either by wifi or ethernet

Hi - my iMac (2009) has started to intermittently refuse to allow access to the internet (either by ethernet or wifi) & I think the built-in network facility (on the motherboard) must be failing. Is there any way that an external network card (via USB perhaps?) can be used instead, as I understand there is no obvious fix to the built-in one? The iMac is otherwise still a great machine & I don't really want to junk it just yet...

thanks for any help or suggestions

iMac, 10.11

Posted on Feb 3, 2019 2:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2019 7:18 AM

I’m assuming that other devices are able to connect to the wired and to thr Wi-Fi networks here and can get to the Internet.if you’ve not confirmed that, go test that. I’d also test from the iMac to another local device; to the Wi-Fi box or to the gateway/router/firewall box.

Boot into Safe Mode and run a wired and a Wi-Fimtest and confirm that the wired and the Wi-Fi networks you’re testing with are each set to use DHCP in System Preferences > Networks and try connecting again. What you’re reporting can be caused by add-on software; anti-malware, anti-virus, network minitoring and firewall tools, amd other such can and have caused all sorts of problems.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2019 7:18 AM in response to Powderfinger83

I’m assuming that other devices are able to connect to the wired and to thr Wi-Fi networks here and can get to the Internet.if you’ve not confirmed that, go test that. I’d also test from the iMac to another local device; to the Wi-Fi box or to the gateway/router/firewall box.

Boot into Safe Mode and run a wired and a Wi-Fimtest and confirm that the wired and the Wi-Fi networks you’re testing with are each set to use DHCP in System Preferences > Networks and try connecting again. What you’re reporting can be caused by add-on software; anti-malware, anti-virus, network minitoring and firewall tools, amd other such can and have caused all sorts of problems.

iMac won't connect to internet either by wifi or ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.