Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Almost new iMac runs slow and fans are noisy

So i bought my iMac with pretty good specs because i was planning on using it for ArchiCAD as well as playing the sims 4. I’ve used it barely the last month and now the iMac’s fans are noisy from when i just turn on the god **** computer???! What is wrong? It runs super slow and is Even worse them the schools 7 Year old iMacs... so dissapointed

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 3, 2019 4:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2019 5:32 AM

It would be helpful to share with us the complete specs of your iMac starting with exactly which one you have. To make this easy run and post the result of Etrecheck http://www.etrecheck.com

To post the entire report you’ll need to use the Add Text feature How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

In the meantime try resetting the SMC How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2019 5:32 AM in response to Ann-Helen

It would be helpful to share with us the complete specs of your iMac starting with exactly which one you have. To make this easy run and post the result of Etrecheck http://www.etrecheck.com

To post the entire report you’ll need to use the Add Text feature How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

In the meantime try resetting the SMC How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Feb 3, 2019 6:53 PM in response to Ann-Helen

How long have you had this “new” iMac?

The 5400 RPM mechanical spinning hard drive in both the hard drive and “Fusion drives” are woefully slow to read and write to.

The hard drives and fusion drives in these 21 inch screen iMacs all utilise 33%-50% slower 5400 RPM laptop hard drives instead of the “normal” and “ desktop standard” 7200 RPM mechanical spinning hard drives.

This means, potentially, between 30-50% slower read/writes to these drives and slower seek times!

The ONLY viable and speedy storage drive options in these new, 2017, 21 inch screen iMacs IS THE SSD drive option!

The fix?

Forget the internal hard drive (use it strictly as a backup storage and emergency boot drive) and purchase an external USB 3.0/3.1 connected 256, 500 GBs or 1.0 TB pure all SSD drive.

Install a Mac OS (or purchase and use data cloning software, like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone your current internal system setup) to this external SSD drive and make the external SSD drive your permanent boot drive!

Your iMac will run A WHOLE LOT FASTER than it does now from an external USB 3.0/3.1 SSD drive!

A WHOLE LOT FASTER from an external SSD drive!

Best of Luck to You!

Almost new iMac runs slow and fans are noisy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.