Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs playing garbled, skipping.

I opened iTunes tonight to find some songs (they all seem to be from 1 folder) skip/ play 1-5 seconds of garbled sound before skipping. Their times are also wrong (one song used to be around 5 minutes, it now says it's 0:32). I have approved my computer, reinstalled iTunes, logged in, copied files to the iTunes media folder but to no avail.

Help?

Windows, 10

Posted on Feb 3, 2019 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2019 4:02 PM

Do these same files play OK in Windows Media Player or Media Monkey? If not I would suspect some sort of file level corruption that has perhaps been copied to your backup before it became apparent. Restoring the library database file won't have any impact on the media files themselves if they've been damaged.

tt2

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2019 4:02 PM in response to Boruku

Do these same files play OK in Windows Media Player or Media Monkey? If not I would suspect some sort of file level corruption that has perhaps been copied to your backup before it became apparent. Restoring the library database file won't have any impact on the media files themselves if they've been damaged.

tt2

Feb 3, 2019 5:44 AM in response to Boruku

Check your hard drive for errors. See https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disk-error-checking-windows-8 for example. If possible restore the affected tracks from backup. If you don't already have a backup see Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy - Apple Community. If these are purchased tracks you can delete the current copies then redownload.

tt2

Feb 3, 2019 3:07 PM in response to turingtest2

Hard drive had no errors. Back up just brought back the same errors. Even tried restoring to a previous library back up and it did the same thing. What's annoying is that it's like it can't find the files, but isn't giving me the "locate this file" prompt I'm used to seeing.

If it weren't over 100 songs I'd go through my manual solution: delete the song from the library and re-add it.

EDIT: that solution isn't working now... it's bringing the error over even when re-added...

Feb 3, 2019 3:43 PM in response to turingtest2

It's over 100 songs... so no, not able to re-rip. To re-download at this point would be piracy/ extremely expensive. Why this is isolated to 1 folder baffles me. Everything worked and now over 100 don't. At this rate it'd be easier to just move the entire playlist to Media Player and solely use iTunes to update my iPod.

Feb 3, 2019 4:42 PM in response to turingtest2

Nope. I've only in the last week or so FINALLY got my laptop to function properly (no thanks to Microsoft or Acer for that). It was locked into Windows 10 and it would crash when left unattended. I've only just got the work around, so there had been no back up set since I transferred files back over. I've tried the hard drive I've backed up to, but they now magically don't work either. At a loss. My only hope now is to try and get them from my iPod and put them on the computer.

Songs playing garbled, skipping.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.