Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes automatically shuffles and wont allow selected song play

iTunes for Windows 12.12.4

Uninstalled & re-installed twice

Repaired install twice

Shuffle is turned OFF in Controls

Shuffle and Repeat icons have been toggled multiple times, and are light backgrounds

All Songs are check marked - All have been unchecked & rechecked at least twice

Songs are dark (not grayed out)

Songs are on my cloud account

I just got a new laptop. In the morning, on my old laptop, everything worked perfect. Signed into my account on the new laptop, and iTunes does not work as before.

Within my Library, when I select the play icon, or double click on a song, the play bar at the top starts cycling through songs, and eventually settles on a random song. Does not matter which playlist, or specific album, or any other group.

Same issue if I go to Browse and choose a song that is completely random to me and not in my Libraray. The cycling seems to go through any song on the serarch results. I cant play the one song I select.

I did down load one album off of my cloud, and put it on my new laptop, and that seems to now work as normal.

I should not have to download every file for this to work.

Any ideas?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 12, 2022 7:00 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jul 13, 2022 2:25 AM in response to ROAllred

You mentioned that the problem started when you began using the new computer. I don't use the cloud, but I believe that you do need to download the songs into your iTunes programme in order to play them in the manner that you want. Although you can a play a song while it's in the cloud, I'm fairly certain that the player will stop at the end of that song. That seems to be borne out by your experience.

ROAllred wrote:

I did down load one album off of my cloud, and put it on my new laptop, and that seems to now work as normal.

I assume that you can select multiple items in the cloud and download them as a group.

I should not have to download every file for this to work.

If your further tests (downloading songs) produces the result that you want, then it would appear that you do.

Jul 13, 2022 12:15 PM in response to ROAllred

ROAllred wrote:

iTunes play lists and new music are designed to play without downloading to each device, yet those arent working.

I'm sure there will be someone out there who doesn't want that to happen. They'll be on here complaining that songs they haven't downloaded are playing when they don't want them to and that they did not download them for that specific reason.

Have you tried downloading anything else as a test, as I suggested? I think that you should: it will either work, or it will rule that out.

Jul 13, 2022 3:03 PM in response to the fiend

Perhaps I am using incorrect terms, but I have always been able to "Add To Library" without having to "Download" the file.

the fiend wrote:

I'm sure there will be someone out there who doesn't want that to happen. They'll be on here complaining that songs they haven't downloaded are playing when they don't want them to and that they did not download them for that specific reason.

I dont know anyone that "Download"s all of their library. It would suck up storage space like crazy. Obviously no one would want a random file NOT added to their library, or added to a playlist, to just start playing, but having to "Download" them makes having the two options available pointless.

Yes, if I Download the file it will play. However, other songs that are still in my library but NOT downloaded will play also. I just cant control what will and will not play. Also, Browsing new material will not play, as it used to do so, and just randomly cycles through the Searched results.

iTunes automatically shuffles and wont allow selected song play

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.