Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows iTunes hangs when attempting to play Apple Music

I have iTunes 12.10.1.4 installed under Windows 10 on a PC. I have an individual subscription with Apple Music. I have previously synced all my music and have been able to play music from my library (local files), files in the cloud in playlists, and files directly from Apple Music (via "For You" or a search, for example).

Recently, iTunes started hanging whenever I double-click a track from Apple Music, which not in my playlists or library. iTunes RAM usage increases dramatically and the program does not respond. I have to kill it via Task Manager.

None of the following have solved the problem:

1. Launching iTunes in safe mode
  2. Using a new iTunes library
  3. Signing out and signing back in within iTunes
  4. De-authorizing and re-authorizing the PC
  5. Uninstalling all Apple software, including iTunes, and reinstalling iTunes.

The problem persists: local music files and playlist music play -- anything else from Apple Music crashes iTunes. My Apple Music subscription is active and I can successfully play music from "For You" or searches with iTunes on a MacBook.

Apple email support suggested I call, which I have done, but as this is a service available during office hours only, I am unable to trouble-shoot on a device at home. Also, Apple Support was going to email a link to download an earlier version of iTunes, but this email has not arrived.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 1:27 PM

Hi SabreWolfy,

I have the same issue, and the only way that Apple Music plays is by pressing the play button.

Similar questions

2 replies

Windows iTunes hangs when attempting to play Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.