Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mcafee Total Protection Uninstaller not compatible with El Captain

My current MacBook Pro (late 2011) has Mcafee Total Protection installed. The subscription has expired and I would like to remove it from my machine.

When I click the uninstaller application, I get a message:

"You can’t use this version of the application “McAfee® Total Protection Uninstaller.app” with this version of OS X."

I have OS X 10.11.6 and the application required 10.12.

I was unable to locate an uninstaller on McAfee's website.

I've checked for OS X updates, but I cannot locate 10.12 and I don't believe Mojave is compatible with this MacBook Pro as it is from late 2011. Also, all available documentation indicates it is not.

What's the answer?

Is there a link to v10.12 that I missed? Do I ignore the recommendation and install Mojave? If I try, will Mojave even install?

Suggestions?

Posted on Feb 3, 2019 10:38 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 5, 2019 7:11 AM in response to DF0807

Hello DF0807,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. From your message it appears that you're wanting to know if you can update your MacBook Pro (late 2011) to macOS Mojave so you can use the uninstaller for McAfee. To upgrade to macOS Mojave you would need to have a MacBook Pro introduced in mid 2012 or later. The latest operating system your MacBook Pro can run is macOS High Sierra (10.13.6). You can upgrade to macOS High Sierra by following the steps, including the link to download it, here: How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra.

Once the upgrade is complete, try uninstalling McAfee again. If you find you need more help with McAfee don't hesitate to check out their Knowledge Center here: McAfee KB - How to install or uninstall McAfee Internet Security for Mac (TS101226.

Have a great day!

Mcafee Total Protection Uninstaller not compatible with El Captain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.