Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A guide to silencing unknown callers, but still receive both calls and texts from contacts as vibration only.

I recently spent a bit of time figuring out how to silence telemarketing calls on my iPhone. I also always have my phone silenced (vibration only), so I wanted the following:

• Only contacts can call me.
  • Calls and text can only come in as vibration notifications

Seems pretty simple, but it took some figuring out to work, partly because there's no guide I could find online. The tricky part is that I want vibration only.

How to do it:

• Turn on Do Not Disturb in the "Settings-->Do not Disturb" menu. This will turn off all notifications from calls and texts.
  • In the "Settings-->Do Not Disturb-->Allow Calls From" menu, select "All Contacts". This will allow call notifications from your contacts, but still not allow unknown numbers to notify you.
  • Finally, the annoying part. Go into the Contacts app, select a contact from whom you want to receive text notifications. Select "Edit", and scroll down to "Text Tone". Select "Text Tone" and toggle "Emergency Bypass" on. Repeat this will every contact from whom you want to receive text notifications. This will allow you to receive text vibration notifications even though you have "Do Not Disturb" on.

There you have it. You should now be able to receive calls and texts from your contacts as "vibration only" notifications, while not receiving notifications from telemarketers.

A few notes:

• Of course, you're going to need to toggle "Emergency Bypass" for any new phone numbers you add to your phone in the future.
  • This doesn't block unknown numbers. It just silences them completely.
  • I think this is the only way to do this without jailbreaking your phone, or paying for a third party app.

Posted on Feb 4, 2019 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2019 9:22 AM

Thanks for posting your experience.

One other way to deal with telemarketing robocalls is to see if your carrier has an app to report them for blocking. AT&T and Verizon do, and it's free.

One that works well, but is not free, is nomorobo. It costs $2 a month for the iPhone version. It is free for landlines, however.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2019 9:22 AM in response to lderrickable

Thanks for posting your experience.

One other way to deal with telemarketing robocalls is to see if your carrier has an app to report them for blocking. AT&T and Verizon do, and it's free.

One that works well, but is not free, is nomorobo. It costs $2 a month for the iPhone version. It is free for landlines, however.

Feb 4, 2019 9:44 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have Verizon, and the call blocking app only lets you a block number for 90 days at a time. Another problem I have with it is that the call companies that call me generate new numbers all the time. So I end up getting 5 calls per day from different numbers, all from the same call company. I gave up trying to block them all after months of still getting calls from the same company on different numbers. Nomorobo seems like it could work pretty well, because I assume they have a large database of reported numbers already. It doesn't seem failsafe though, because new numbers can always be generated. I like the way I posted, because it isn't based an incomplete list of all possible telemarketing numbers. It's based on a complete list of numbers, my contacts list, which makes it failsafe. I'll never get a telemarketing call notification again.

Feb 4, 2019 9:49 AM in response to lderrickable

You have good points, and overall I like your approach. Where it fails is calls from numbers not in your contact list but that you would still want to receive. Examples might by a business or school contact calling from a direct-inward-dial number where you only have the main number as a contact, not the caller's extension. Another might be your doctor calling from a home or mobile phone, where you only have the office main number. Of course, these will go to voicemail, so you will know about them after the fact.

A guide to silencing unknown callers, but still receive both calls and texts from contacts as vibration only.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.