Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create bootable Windows 7 media

I am trying to create a bootable media for a Windows 7 ISO. In all the tutorials I have found they say to use the following command:

sudo dd if=/path/to/ISO of=/dev/usbdisk bs=1m

The command indeed copies the files to my flash disk but it's not bootable.

What am I doing wrong here? (I have MacOS Mojave installed)

Notes:

1. I have tried other software like unetbootin (does not even see my drive) or balenaEtcher but none worked.
  2. This issues is not limited to Windows OS...if I try to do the same for a Linux OS it fails as well. The only OS that this works with is MacOS

Posted on Feb 4, 2019 1:00 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 5, 2019 7:40 AM in response to woodmeister50

I know I don't need any external media to install Windows on a MacBook Pro. I was trying to make a bootable USB in order to install Windows on another laptop that is not a Mac.

Anyway I found a solution for this:

1. Get VirtualBox and install Windows in it
  2. Get the Extension pack for your VirtualBox version
  3. Install Windows in a VM and after that the VirtualBox Guest Additions
  4. Get Rufus and share the folder where the Windows ISO resides on the host
  5. Add a filter for the USB (needs to be the one where you want to "flash" the ISO - it will be in a list) and make sure you have USB 2.0 or 3.0 active depending on your hardware
  6. Plug in the USB and make sure you eject it from the host (VB and the host cannot access the USB at the same time)
  7. Use Rufus to create the bootable USB (make sure you have the MBR partition scheme selected without any of the checkboxes in the "Advanced options" section)

Notes:

1. If you have a USB 3.0 stick that does not work even though you have selected the USB 3.0 controller in VirtualBox, try connecting it to a USB Hub that is 2.0 and set the USB controller to 2.0 in VB settings.

How to create bootable Windows 7 media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.