Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What should be the reading in the midi track meter in db while bouncing a midi track to audio ?

To send audio material to an engineer

1) I bounce midi track to audio ....... I bounce it checking that the output in the midi track is not clipping at almost -5 db.... for that I control the volume of the vst itself...

2) Now when I export this track to a folder for the engineer from the daw , I check that it is not clipping again around -5

3) when my engineer imports these waves to his new logic project he complains that it is too hot or all tracks are peaking and so with a gain plugin on each he lowers the gain of all the tracks .....

so question is -

if I want that the tracks he imports don't seem so hot , and the level seems -18db in every track , does that mean I need to bounce or export these tracks at -18 db, I kept exporting these at -5 thinking that I get the most powerful audio out .....

Kindly help.

Mac Pro, 10.12

Posted on Feb 5, 2019 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2019 5:05 AM

That your engineer insists on 18dB indicates that he either is using an analog mixing board or that he is just plain lana with his gain staging in the digital domain, presumably the former.

Also, by being able to bring down your levels with a gain plugin, he acknowledges that not your files themselves are clipped, but they clip his mixing board's input stage.

If all this is true, kindly ask him to select all your regions and pull down Gain in the Inspector by 13dB.

Then, next time, deliver your files at -18 dB.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2019 5:05 AM in response to Mudh

That your engineer insists on 18dB indicates that he either is using an analog mixing board or that he is just plain lana with his gain staging in the digital domain, presumably the former.

Also, by being able to bring down your levels with a gain plugin, he acknowledges that not your files themselves are clipped, but they clip his mixing board's input stage.

If all this is true, kindly ask him to select all your regions and pull down Gain in the Inspector by 13dB.

Then, next time, deliver your files at -18 dB.

What should be the reading in the midi track meter in db while bouncing a midi track to audio ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.