Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

software bug

I have an iphone XR, 4 months old. I'm having major problems with text messaging. I've called Apple support 4 times & they seemed to be giving me standard answers that didn't fix the problem. I finally demanded to speak to a Supervisor/ trouble shooter. We've been working to fix this problem for 2 days an hour first time & over 2 hours last call. Finally it was identified as a software problem. They are aware of the problem with other users but have not developed an update to fix it & say I have to wait for a new IOS to be developed. I requested a new phone & was denied,instead they stated eventually there would be a fix for the bug.

The problem is in the middle of an Imessage it will freeze & response box arrow turns green. A message comes up to report junk & says contact unknown. The contact is in my contact list & happens after we have been texting for awhile. It use to happen randomly every few days but now everyday all the time with others using imessage. How can I get Apple to give me a new phone?

iPhone XR

Posted on Feb 6, 2019 11:12 PM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2019 4:10 PM in response to LD150

You are absolutely right Peter. I contacted T-Mobile my carrier who I purchased the phone from & they said to take it to an Apple store. At the store they recommended what you said but that it most probably would happen again so no use but to wait for a new IOS.

What I find very strange is 3 Apple technicians, a supervisor and the in person tech at the store have not run across this particular problem before. Thanks for your reply

Feb 7, 2019 4:19 PM in response to millie230

I wouldn't let their pessimism stop you from doing a backup and restore. I did one just for practice last week.

Four hours went by without anyone chipping in a solution, or doing a ‘Me Too’ which suggests it is not a common problem. That in turn suggests the last update was a flawed update and a restore gives you a fresh copy.

software bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.