Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic login not working

I am the only user and thus Administrator on my mac,

I've set Security & Privacy to NOT require a password

I've un-checked Disable automatic login

In Users & Groups I've set my account as Automatic login...

And yet every time I start up, I have to enter my password.

Does anyone have an idea what else needs to be done? Never had a problem with this with prior OSs.

Mac mini, 10.14

Posted on Feb 7, 2019 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2019 9:12 AM

Apple notes the following in their Knowledge Base. Do any of these apply to your situation?

• You might still be asked to log in manually after logging out, switching back from another user account, or locking your screen.

• If FileVault is turned on, manual login is required for all accounts.

• If an account uses an iCloud password to log in, manual login is required for that account. You might also see the message “A user with an encrypted home folder can't log in automatically.” When changing the account password, you can choose not to use the iCloud password.

Please let me know if this is helpful, or if it even resolves your issue. Thanks!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2019 9:12 AM in response to CalicoAngus

Apple notes the following in their Knowledge Base. Do any of these apply to your situation?

• You might still be asked to log in manually after logging out, switching back from another user account, or locking your screen.

• If FileVault is turned on, manual login is required for all accounts.

• If an account uses an iCloud password to log in, manual login is required for that account. You might also see the message “A user with an encrypted home folder can't log in automatically.” When changing the account password, you can choose not to use the iCloud password.

Please let me know if this is helpful, or if it even resolves your issue. Thanks!

Automatic login not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.