Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Move Library from computer to desktop drive with only original media

When moving the Library files from the computer drive to a desktop drive (Copy then Delete original Library on the MBP), how can one tell if the copied Project in the Library includes the unadulterated camera files OR is using proxy files? 

Because the Projects are not finished being edited I need to include all the original media.

The reason for asking this is because I came across a situation where someone had an issue with their edited video Project looking “soft” and not as good as the the video straight from the cam. The feedback comment suggested that proxy media may have been used. I don’t use proxy media when editing but, just in case, I want to check the Copied file to ensure it isn’t proxy media.

QUESTION: How to check if proxy media instead of original media is what was copied?

I follow the steps in Reference 1: “Copy a library to another Mac or storage device” (but not Optimized or Proxy media), check to make sure everything works, then finally > Delete the source file on the computer to free up space.

References used:

1. FCP X Help: “Copy a library to another Mac or storage device”

https://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.4.4/#/ver071c2efed 

Note that FCP must not be open during the process. Didn’t see this in the White Paper.

2. “Managing Media with Final Cut Pro X Libraries” White Paper 2016

https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Media_Management.pdf

p. 12 & 13; P. 14 Library Backups do not include media. (this is not a “backup”)

This is on a 2012 MBP running OSX Mojave 10.14.2 using FCP X 10.4.4

MacBook Pro 15", 10.13

Posted on Feb 8, 2019 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2019 11:16 PM

Just thought of one more question: Do you know if when doing a "Copy" that all the media gets copied, even some clips or photos that weren't used during the edit? This part is important because some (many?) of the Libraries I'm moving are still a work in progress.

If a Copy is made of a Library (use the Finder to Copy) you end up with a duplicate, nothing more or less provided the copy process completes without issue.

You can jump into the Library Package Contents if you like to have a look around.

BTW: Do not move or delete anything around in there unless you want problems.

You can see if Proxy files are available and which files are Original as well as any Optimised.

Right click the Library icon in the Finder to Show Package Contents:

Once in there navigate to the Transcoded folder:

You can also check a clip by clip to see if Proxy or Optimised is available using the Inspector:

Green dots mean that type is available, red triangle is not created.

Al

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2019 11:16 PM in response to Searchin99

Just thought of one more question: Do you know if when doing a "Copy" that all the media gets copied, even some clips or photos that weren't used during the edit? This part is important because some (many?) of the Libraries I'm moving are still a work in progress.

If a Copy is made of a Library (use the Finder to Copy) you end up with a duplicate, nothing more or less provided the copy process completes without issue.

You can jump into the Library Package Contents if you like to have a look around.

BTW: Do not move or delete anything around in there unless you want problems.

You can see if Proxy files are available and which files are Original as well as any Optimised.

Right click the Library icon in the Finder to Show Package Contents:

Once in there navigate to the Transcoded folder:

You can also check a clip by clip to see if Proxy or Optimised is available using the Inspector:

Green dots mean that type is available, red triangle is not created.

Al

Feb 8, 2019 6:58 PM in response to Searchin99

After you have selected the Consolidate Library command this appears:

If Proxy or Optimised media are not required to be copied over, de-select them.

All original media will be gathered from wherever the stored locations are to the new destination.

To check once the copy is completed, use the Inspector after selecting the NEW Library in the Browser, Proxy and Optimised should read nothing the respective sections:

Al

Feb 8, 2019 11:06 PM in response to Searchin99

QUESTION: So, that brings up another question, can you think of any way the edited video could actually be proxy media?

Yes. If Proxy files were created at some point and the View setting was still in Proxy:

In the above screen shot, it is set to play back in Optimised/Original.

If Proxy was checked then the Timeline would play proxy files which are around one quarter resolution of Optimised. Exports also go out at Proxy resolution.

In the latest versions of FCP X a warning appears at export/share to advise that Proxy is selected. Great feature if one has forgotten to switch back to Optimised/Original.

Al

Feb 8, 2019 9:27 PM in response to Alchroma

To quote: "To check once the copy is completed, use the Inspector after selecting the NEW Library in the Browser, Proxy and Optimised should read nothing the respective sections:"

Checked that, and both Proxy and Optimised are ------- just like in your example.

So, ....

Do you think it would be a safe assumption if both items are negative like that, then if one can see the edited video and the cam clips, that the media must be "original" media? Off hand, I would think the answer would be "yes".

QUESTION: So, that brings up another question, can you think of any way the edited video could actually be proxy media?

I've got some very old videos that have never been finished or archived, and I can't guarantee (to myself) that when the library was moved that it was done correctly. The person who wrote the comment about the "not so good video" possibly using proxy media leaves me worried.

Having said that, your solution here is looking like a winner -

P.S. So you've been around here since 2009? That's a decade! Think I started here not too long after that after moving over from iMovie 06. FCP7 was what everyone was using and FCP had just recently come out. Forgot what year that was. The one thing I remember was the steep learning curve after making the switch.

Feb 9, 2019 11:16 AM in response to Alchroma

Thank you VERY much!

Even after doing lots of research, and the two references I mentioned in the beginning are just the tip of where I've looked for information, there was no place that said exactly what was going on that I could find. If an Apple person that writes or approves the KB articles, or Help articles, etc., reads this, please realize that not everybody wants to Share or Archive something.

In my case, there are a lot of videos that have been edited, some to completion, more-or-less to completion, and some where I may have other plans for the future. In these cases one may want to retain as much footage or other files as possible.

Al, what you wrote really helps with "The devil is in the details" way for doing things. Saying what should NOT be done in order to do something (with the ramifications of what happens if you do it) is just as important as saying what to do. There are a lot of places in a step-by-step process where one can get to a point "what if I just do this ..." but the process never provides a warning at the point. There are many places where the back-arrow or undelete doesn't work. Oh my god, how many times have I been there!!!

Your answers above are a keeper and going into my binder of Supplements to FCP X. And, with a date AND an X version number. (The devil is in the details!)

Thanks again!

How to Move Library from computer to desktop drive with only original media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.