Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting imovie Files to save space and re-edit

Hi, I think I've made a big boo-boo with trying to save space on my Mac while I produce lots of videos in imovie! I realised that imovie makes a copy of all the files in the imovie library stored on my Mac and this takes up space...so I decide to drag and drop (copy) the package contents files over to an external hard drive. This was in the hope that if ever wanted to re-edit any video I could then drag and drop them back into the imovie library (package contents) on my Mac and it would bring them back into the timeline of clips/images/transitions etc within imovie when I opened it, so I could make changes.

I now realise from (watching youtube tutorials) that I should have simply asked to copy the imovie library over to my external hard drive by creating a new library within the external drive and then copying the project over by used the file/copy to new library drop down menus. So not dragging and dropping like I did...

The problem is, I now have 20-30 folders with the 'original imovie files' sat on my external hard drive and I want to re-edit some of them. But when I drag them back into the imovie library on my Mac they don't do anything. I can only see the images and it doesn't re-establish the timeline of editing that I'd like to pick back up from.

I'm guessing there is nothing I can do to make the imovie library on my Mac 'read' these original files in 'edit real time' again? I basically want to change some transitions and images within the edited movie.

Before I delete all the imovie files on my external drive (containing the render info), I want to check if there is anything I can do please to salvage the mistake....

From now on I will obviously do it correctly, but it's shame about the existing 20-30 videos that I can't re-edit!

Many Thanks...

MacBook

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 9:02 AM

Hi, RedS3657,

First of all, do not delete the Show Package Contents folders that you have on your external drive. As long as you have not deleted anything you might be able to salvage your situation.

I suspect that when you said that you "dragged and dropped (copied") the Show Package Contents folders to the external drive you actually moved them there instead of copying them. If you just copied them, not moved them, then your original library should play fine.

Assuming that you moved them, make a duplicate of the iMovie library on your Mac as it exists now, so that you have a back up. Then try dragging back into the original library on your Mac everything that you moved out and see if you can re-establish the link to your iMovie app.

If still no luck getting anything to play, try looking in the iMovie backups folder and see if you can open a back up library dated just before you dragged out the folders.

To get to the iMovie Backups folder, follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just before

you moved the folders. iMovie will open in that library.   Navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your projects are intact and will play.

Also, if you keep a Time Machine backup, you can restore your library to a point in time just before you moved the folders. That would solve it.

All else failing, try calling Apple Support and discussing this with the savvy techs there. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer, that we cannot do on this forum. They may be able to straighten this out. To contact support, click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen. Follow the resulting screen to navigate to a place where you can input your telephone number to have support call you.

Yes, this is a good lesson to not move, delete, alter, rename or change anything in the Show Package Contents folder. You can copy but not move. Otherwise, as you have found, you run the risk of corrupting your iMovie library and breaking links to the iMovie app.

Good luck with this. Somehow I think that you will be able to restore to where you were before. If you cannot do so, then at least you still have the media for the projects stored in the original media folder inside of each project folder in the Show Package Contents that you moved. You might be able to recreate the projects that you want to keep. Also, if you had previously shared out any projects as a movie file, you could drag the movie file into a newly created project and at least do some limited editing.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2020 9:02 AM in response to RedS3657

Hi, RedS3657,

First of all, do not delete the Show Package Contents folders that you have on your external drive. As long as you have not deleted anything you might be able to salvage your situation.

I suspect that when you said that you "dragged and dropped (copied") the Show Package Contents folders to the external drive you actually moved them there instead of copying them. If you just copied them, not moved them, then your original library should play fine.

Assuming that you moved them, make a duplicate of the iMovie library on your Mac as it exists now, so that you have a back up. Then try dragging back into the original library on your Mac everything that you moved out and see if you can re-establish the link to your iMovie app.

If still no luck getting anything to play, try looking in the iMovie backups folder and see if you can open a back up library dated just before you dragged out the folders.

To get to the iMovie Backups folder, follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just before

you moved the folders. iMovie will open in that library.   Navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your projects are intact and will play.

Also, if you keep a Time Machine backup, you can restore your library to a point in time just before you moved the folders. That would solve it.

All else failing, try calling Apple Support and discussing this with the savvy techs there. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer, that we cannot do on this forum. They may be able to straighten this out. To contact support, click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen. Follow the resulting screen to navigate to a place where you can input your telephone number to have support call you.

Yes, this is a good lesson to not move, delete, alter, rename or change anything in the Show Package Contents folder. You can copy but not move. Otherwise, as you have found, you run the risk of corrupting your iMovie library and breaking links to the iMovie app.

Good luck with this. Somehow I think that you will be able to restore to where you were before. If you cannot do so, then at least you still have the media for the projects stored in the original media folder inside of each project folder in the Show Package Contents that you moved. You might be able to recreate the projects that you want to keep. Also, if you had previously shared out any projects as a movie file, you could drag the movie file into a newly created project and at least do some limited editing.

-- Rich

Jun 4, 2020 10:57 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your quick response. I did actually copy the files over by dragging and dropping them (but the originals remained), but I then went back into the show package contents folder on my Mac and deleted them out as that was the only way I could restore space on my Mac.

I'll try the suggestions you list and as you say, a good lesson learned and I can always edit from the final project videos/events I have created in iMovie to some degree, so not all is lost!

Best Wishes,

Sonya.

Exporting imovie Files to save space and re-edit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.