Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie storage of original media

When I start a new project, I always work in an iMovie library that I have created on an external hard drive.

Before starting editing I store all my original footage in a special project-folder on this external hard drive. Now, as soon as I am starting editing, it seems that iMovie automatically stores all the original files that I import into iMovie in a folder called FINAL CUT ORIGINAL MEDIA.

So my question is: is it actually so that all files that have been imported into iMovie are automatically stored by iMovie in this Final Cut Original Media-folder?

And if so: does this mean that in order to save space on my external hard disk, I don't have to file all my original media in special folders, before starting editing?

Hope someone can help me out! Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 7:48 AM

Hi, bakkermenno,

iMovie stores all imported files in the iMovie Library in a Finder folder titled Original Media. If your iMovie library is on an external drive the Original Media folder will be on the external drive. Your folder is titled Final Cut Original Media possibly because you have or did have the Final Cut app on your Mac. When you select a clip in iMovie and do a File/Reveal in Finder, the Original Media folder will pop up with the selected clip name highlighted. If you remove the file from the Original Media folder you will remove it from the iMovie Library and, therefore, from all iMovie projects that may be using that file.

Because files imported into iMovie are already stored in the Original Media folder it is not necessary to have the files stored in separate special folders before starting editing. However, it is a good idea to have your original media also stored somewhere other than in your iMovie library. Files in a separate finder folder are much easier to access, move, and organize than if they are located solely in an iMovie Library. Also, iMovie Libraries can become corrupted and there can be updates/upgrades to the iMovie app and/or operating system that can affect the media stored in the library. In ten years when you want to access the files you may discover that you have deleted the iMovie app and now cannot access the library with the current version. So, I would say that you do not want your media tied up in an app whose future history you cannot control, even though also storing them in separate folders takes up space on your drive. But then, that's what external drives are for.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2020 7:48 AM in response to bakkermenno

Hi, bakkermenno,

iMovie stores all imported files in the iMovie Library in a Finder folder titled Original Media. If your iMovie library is on an external drive the Original Media folder will be on the external drive. Your folder is titled Final Cut Original Media possibly because you have or did have the Final Cut app on your Mac. When you select a clip in iMovie and do a File/Reveal in Finder, the Original Media folder will pop up with the selected clip name highlighted. If you remove the file from the Original Media folder you will remove it from the iMovie Library and, therefore, from all iMovie projects that may be using that file.

Because files imported into iMovie are already stored in the Original Media folder it is not necessary to have the files stored in separate special folders before starting editing. However, it is a good idea to have your original media also stored somewhere other than in your iMovie library. Files in a separate finder folder are much easier to access, move, and organize than if they are located solely in an iMovie Library. Also, iMovie Libraries can become corrupted and there can be updates/upgrades to the iMovie app and/or operating system that can affect the media stored in the library. In ten years when you want to access the files you may discover that you have deleted the iMovie app and now cannot access the library with the current version. So, I would say that you do not want your media tied up in an app whose future history you cannot control, even though also storing them in separate folders takes up space on your drive. But then, that's what external drives are for.

-- Rich

iMovie storage of original media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.