Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"No bootable device — Insert boot disk and press any key"

It’s been a full week since one of the teachers at my university requested us Mac users to install Windows 10 on a bootcamp partition in order to download Autodesk 3DS Max, as we will need it for the rest of the quarter.

At first, I was alleviated when I checked that my old faithful MacBook Air (mid. 2012) was still a compatible device to install Windows 10, but oh boy… then problems came in great numbers.

I could write an entire book about all the issues I had to overcome, looking at all forum threads that I could find. 

Greatly summarized:

• FAT32 not being able to work with files bigger than 4gb.
  • Graphic drivers issues once I could install W10 (which drove me crazy, just to learn 3 days later that it was all because I was installing it on EFI mode, which my Mac is not compatible).
  • Not showing “Windows” boot option, just “EFI Boot”.
  • Many more “smaller” issues that I don’t even remember now.
  • And finally, the one that brought me to a dead end: “No bootable device — Insert boot disk and press any key”

Of course, inserting the boot disk that Boot Camp Assistant created and pressing any key did nothing. I tried following the steps described on this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7600973, and I managed to confuse macOS, resulting in having to erase my entire drive to be able to reinstall it and boot again. Luckily, I made a Time Machine backup that I can use to restore my “Macintosh HD” partition, which I did not for now.

Right now, this is my Mac state:

• MacBook Air 13 inch (mid. 2012).
  • macOS Mojave 10.14.3 (18D109) version.
  • Completely wiped out drive, as new.
  • Boot Camp Assistant created partition of 55,77gb.
  • Boot Camp Assistant created USB flash drive 2.0 boot disk (Kingston 32gb USB flash drive that already worked in other Macs).
  • 1703 Windows 10 ISO used (as later ISOs result in exceeding FAT32 4gb limit, checked with lots of them).
  • On restart, when Alt key pressed, both "Windows" and "EFI boot" boot options available.
  • “No bootable device” error when Bootcamp Assistant restarts computer or when Alt key is pressed during restart to select "Windows" boot option.

Am I really on a dead end? I want to think not.

Please help.

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 8, 2019 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2019 7:18 PM

W10 1803 is the last ISO with a <4GB install.wim. W10 1809 exceeds the 4GB limit (2**32 -1 bytes).

I have run into issues with Kingston bootability in the past. Check and make sure the speed of the USB is 480 Mbps not 5Gbps. If you have a different brand (SanDisk, Lexar, Sony,...), try with a different USB2 Flash drive.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2019 7:18 PM in response to sufferer

W10 1803 is the last ISO with a <4GB install.wim. W10 1809 exceeds the 4GB limit (2**32 -1 bytes).

I have run into issues with Kingston bootability in the past. Check and make sure the speed of the USB is 480 Mbps not 5Gbps. If you have a different brand (SanDisk, Lexar, Sony,...), try with a different USB2 Flash drive.

Feb 8, 2019 8:09 PM in response to Loner T

Okay.

I tried again with W10 1803 just to make sure in an EMTEC USB2 Flash Drive.

Boot Camp Assistant quickly brings this error:

Which translates to:

"Your bootable USB drive could not be created

There is not enough space available on the disk"

I checked and the install.wim from the W10 1803 appears to weight more than 4gb. I downloaded it from the Windows site just 20 minutes ago.

I am also able to download original W10 ISOs through my university web site from 1511 to 1709, since they have a contract with Microsoft.

I chose the 1703 as it was the last one that Boot Camp Assistant letted me create a bootable disk from.

Here is the size of the install.wim on the 1703:

Both the Kingston and the EMTEC USB2 flash drives were used before multiple times for this precise task in other Macs.

"No bootable device — Insert boot disk and press any key"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.