Question:

Question: iOS 12.1.4 battery drain

Am I the only one with this issue? Yesterday, or the day before that, I updated my iPhone XR. One thing I've come to notice is that, since I updated it, the battery drains pretty fast. I'd say I'm an average user and I could go the entire day and it wouldn't reach 20%. Now, around 4PM, after being fully charged around 5AM, it's down to 50%. I just find it weird, knowing that I'm an average user, my average screentime is around 2 hours a day, so I don't know what's up.

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Feb 10, 2019 3:13 PM in response to xtrasolar In response to xtrasolar

Use the Settings app to see what is using your battery the most. Once you know that you can take the appropriate steps to reduce battery usage.

Settings app > Scroll down to Battery > wait a few seconds until the Battery usage appears. Below the graph of battery usage will be a list of apps and the percentage of battery they are using.

Feb 10, 2019 3:13 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Feb 12, 2019 7:18 AM in response to xtrasolar In response to xtrasolar

Mail is taking 27% and radio app is 27%. However, I charged to 100% before bedtime last night and it became 92% an hour and a half later ( using social media app).. I did not use the phone at all this morning and it is now at 50% - 12 hours later. Battery was draining the day before ( Monday) also after I updated to 12.1.4 earlier in the day.

I have a 7 plus, and my battery health is 83%. This battery drain is drastic and it is contemporaneous with the update.

Feb 12, 2019 7:18 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Feb 12, 2019 7:48 AM in response to Keyscrazed In response to Keyscrazed

There is no time that any smartphone is doing nothing, unless it is completely powered off. You had one or more apps doing something during those 13 hours. Settings/Battery will tell you which apps, and if you tap on one the display will switch to show how many hours the app was doing something and whether it was background or live.

Feb 12, 2019 7:48 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Feb 12, 2019 12:30 PM in response to seanfromllanelli In response to seanfromllanelli

Top 1 is background activity of standard mail app with 51% activity.

The other apps are in normal range.

When changing period for these numbers from 14 hours to 10 days, I can see that the average activity for the mail app is only around 20%, which looks normal to me. It really seems to be linked to this iOS update as this issue started after it has been installed.

The mail app also reacts differently now when navigating within an email thread - it jumps around and seems trying to readjust the view in some circumstances.

Feb 12, 2019 12:30 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: xtrasolar

Question: iOS 12.1.4 battery drain