Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Option-reboot doesn't show external drive

I have an external drive for regular backups (SuperDuper) and it's working fine as far as that goes - new files are there when I check, it shows up in Disk Utility, it's there as an option for Startup Disk in System Preferences etc. However, when I try booting from it on startup (pressing the Option key), it doesn't show up at all.

(I haven't actually tried setting it as the startup disk and seeing what happens because I'm nervous as to what the Mac would do if it couldn't find it then.)

Any suggestions? Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 10, 2019 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 4:55 PM

Contact its developer for support: Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support.

Your Mac already includes Time Machine. To learn how to use it please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac.

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 13, 2019 5:53 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for the reply, I am generally familiar with Time Machine and in fact already have backing up to a separate partition on the external hard drive from the one I'm using for SuperDuper. However, I like having a bootable backup such as I get through SuperDuper too, so my question remains if someone has any advice as to why the drive doesn't show up when it seems to be functioning properly otherwise (the manufacturer is of no help).

Option-reboot doesn't show external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.