Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Drive in Finder but Not On Restart,option key pressed

I have an external drive that I clone once a month and I always assumed as an exact copy it would be bootable as Carbon Copier says it is. I can see it in Finder and in Disk Utility and startup selection. But of course its main use is if my HDD fails and I need it for a temp full recovery.

On restart I press the alt(option) key and I get the Macintosh HD and my Windows partition but not the external clone. This where I need to see it of course. Its formated correctly for OSX

How can I get it to show please ?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 10, 2018 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2018 1:56 PM

OK. Found a couple of forums that posted this as a solution.

And it works

1. Reset PRAM of your machine by holding option+command+P+R keys together soon after you press the Power button and hear the startup chime.

2. Hold the keys until the grey screen goes off completely (the machine should be restarting).

3. At "this" point, insert the Bootable USB Disk you created and press and hold the option key.

4. Hold the option key until you see the Startup Manager.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2018 1:56 PM in response to 1topgazza

OK. Found a couple of forums that posted this as a solution.

And it works

1. Reset PRAM of your machine by holding option+command+P+R keys together soon after you press the Power button and hear the startup chime.

2. Hold the keys until the grey screen goes off completely (the machine should be restarting).

3. At "this" point, insert the Bootable USB Disk you created and press and hold the option key.

4. Hold the option key until you see the Startup Manager.

Dec 10, 2018 10:10 AM in response to 1topgazza

Ordinarily, a CCC bootable backup volume will appear in this list, but

occasionally your Mac's firmware may have difficulty discovering the

hardware that hosts your backup.

Work through trouble shooting and see list of compatibility issues:

ref: https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/help-my-clone-wont-boot

references on backups in general: How to create a boot clone

Dec 10, 2018 10:47 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks Leroy.

I've been to that page already. I'm not convinced its a CCC problem as such. Lots of the options there seem like a "shotgun" approach as in "we dont really know so try everything" The more I look into it the more I read about it being a USB 3 problem...possibly.

Wonder if connecting the drive via Firewire, if I can, Firewire to USB drive connector might do it or try and find a USB 2 hub or USB 2 cable and try that.

External Drive in Finder but Not On Restart,option key pressed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.