Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot from external hard drive not working

After a couple of years of working fine - backing up and booting from - my old Seagate external failed, and since it was still under warranty they sent me a replacement. This one works fine for backing up and is visible in Finder, but it does not show up as an available hard drive to boot from on startup (with Option on older Macs, long press on power with Apple chip ones etc).

Seagate is giving me a runaround, telling me that if it's backing up and is visible in Finder as an available drive then it's working perfectly. They insist it's an Apple issue and there's some "operating system" software I need to download from Apple and install on the drive. (Mind you, they didn't seem to understand the concept of "booting from an external drive", which is kind of mind-boggling for a drive company.) I never had to do anything like with previous Seagate drives or drives from other companies - just plug and play (assuming formatted properly - this is APFS).

Any suggestions? Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 6:35 PM

Peter Roussak wrote:

As I understand what you're saying, I shouldn't really worry about this anyway because as I get rid of my old Intel Mac and start using only Apple Silicon ones, the clones most likely wouldn't work and I should rely exclusively on Time Machine?

Read the CCC article I linked previously as I believe it contains the new preferred method of keeping a second bootable macOS drive available with the latest data files which may help get you by until you can reinstall the OS and restore from a TM backup (I also included another slightly different CCC article down below). TM should be a good option to have since it is Apple's own preferred solution, but TM does have some limitations, so having a second backup option or even a temporary replacement can be handy as well. Most people who value their data usually rely on more than one set of backups and many times will use two completely different methods of creating the backups.

Personally I always prefer to have some sort of spare bootable drive handy if for no other reason than for testing and attempting to repair the main drive or to possibly recover data that had yet to be backed up as the failure occurred before the next scheduled backup. A spare full macOS bootable drive gives you so many more options such as being able to download & create a bootable macOS USB installer (assuming the Mac is Ok except for the OS or internal drive) and to be able to confirm only the internal OS and/or boot drive is the only problem.

Unfortunately, due to Apple's infinite short-sightedness, even a spare bootable USB drive may not help with an M1/M2 Mac with Apple Silicon if the internal SSD fails or if the internal SSD is fully erased, because the Apple Silicon Mac's internal SSD contains some required system files which are necessary for booting the Mac even from external media. This has never been the case with any previous Macs (Intel or PPC). If the internal SSD fails on an Apple Silicon Mac, then you have a brick since booting from USB won't work without a working internal SSD which is soldered to the Logic Board.

https://bombich.com/blog/2021/05/19/beyond-bootable-backups-adapting-recovery-strategies-evolving-platform

https://tidbits.com/2021/05/27/an-m1-mac-cant-boot-from-an-external-drive-if-its-internal-drive-is-dead/

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/12/17/when-you-cant-restart-an-m1-mac-from-an-external-disk/

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2022 6:35 PM in response to Peter Roussak

Peter Roussak wrote:

As I understand what you're saying, I shouldn't really worry about this anyway because as I get rid of my old Intel Mac and start using only Apple Silicon ones, the clones most likely wouldn't work and I should rely exclusively on Time Machine?

Read the CCC article I linked previously as I believe it contains the new preferred method of keeping a second bootable macOS drive available with the latest data files which may help get you by until you can reinstall the OS and restore from a TM backup (I also included another slightly different CCC article down below). TM should be a good option to have since it is Apple's own preferred solution, but TM does have some limitations, so having a second backup option or even a temporary replacement can be handy as well. Most people who value their data usually rely on more than one set of backups and many times will use two completely different methods of creating the backups.

Personally I always prefer to have some sort of spare bootable drive handy if for no other reason than for testing and attempting to repair the main drive or to possibly recover data that had yet to be backed up as the failure occurred before the next scheduled backup. A spare full macOS bootable drive gives you so many more options such as being able to download & create a bootable macOS USB installer (assuming the Mac is Ok except for the OS or internal drive) and to be able to confirm only the internal OS and/or boot drive is the only problem.

Unfortunately, due to Apple's infinite short-sightedness, even a spare bootable USB drive may not help with an M1/M2 Mac with Apple Silicon if the internal SSD fails or if the internal SSD is fully erased, because the Apple Silicon Mac's internal SSD contains some required system files which are necessary for booting the Mac even from external media. This has never been the case with any previous Macs (Intel or PPC). If the internal SSD fails on an Apple Silicon Mac, then you have a brick since booting from USB won't work without a working internal SSD which is soldered to the Logic Board.

https://bombich.com/blog/2021/05/19/beyond-bootable-backups-adapting-recovery-strategies-evolving-platform

https://tidbits.com/2021/05/27/an-m1-mac-cant-boot-from-an-external-drive-if-its-internal-drive-is-dead/

https://eclecticlight.co/2021/12/17/when-you-cant-restart-an-m1-mac-from-an-external-disk/

Oct 18, 2022 5:46 PM in response to Peter Roussak

Bootable macOS clones are becoming a thing of the past due to all the latest security features Apple has implemented into macOS especially with Big Sur and Monterey. The developer of Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) has already mentioned that bootable clones is now no longer guaranteed and is just a "best effort". Here is one post by the CCC developer about these issues and the recommended method going forward (clean install of macOS followed by using CCC or SuperDuper to copy the home user folder/files):

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc6/cloning-macos-system-volumes-apple-software-restore

There have already been multiple reports on these forums where users have reported no longer being able to make a bootable clone of an M1/M2 Mac with Apple Silicon after a recent Monterey update (they claimed it worked previously before one of the updates).

I've never successfully used SuperDuper to make a bootable clone, but with CCC there are a few things to do such as making sure the destination drive is erased first. Both SuperDuper and CCC utilize the "asr" feature of macOS to make the clones.

Oct 19, 2022 9:18 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the detailed response. I was unaware of the issues with Apple Silicon, but in fact I've been focused primarily on an older Intel Mac. The clone was made from that Mac to a newly reformatted drive, and it's that Mac I would like to be able to boot from the external. I was having no problems booting from my old external drive before it totally failed (even though the Mac was running BigSur) and Seagate sent me this replacement.

Oct 22, 2022 3:58 PM in response to HWTech

I think I first started creating and using a bootable clone with an old Mac that would sometimes crash in updating the OS, and someone told me a bootable clone was the way to revert to the old version. I don't know if that was ever the best way, and maybe the newer versions of MacOS install a lot more easily. I don't recall having to use it for some years, and TBH I probably kept creating it more from habit than anything else

I don't worry so much about losing data, with everything backed up to BackBlaze and Box and to multiple sync services like DropBox, oneDrive etc. , in addition to Time Machine locally.

And I did try using Migration Assistant to see if the clone on the new external would be recognized, and it was. So maybe it's just a quirk that it isn't recognized on startup or as a startup drive to switch to even from an Intel Mac.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Boot from external hard drive not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.