Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot create a Boot Camp Partition In High Serra

I have tried for the past week to partition my Mac Book Pro 512 gb ssd using boot camp. I disconnected all drives, listed and cleared the snapshots via the console. Nothing works. I had been able to create a boot camp partition 2 weeks ago but it was too small for the application I needed. I removed the partition using boot camp and have not been able to partition a new one. I erased my drive and restored backup from time Machine, yet get the same error no matter what I do.

in disk Utility the HD is as follows

Since I was able once to create a boot camp partition there must be something I am missing to create a larger 200 gb partition. I have erased an restored my HD numerous times to a state which was pre partition, removed all snapshots etc. This is the most frustrating problem I have ever encountered with my macs. I cannot afford another week of getting nowhere. I tried Mojave, but bootcamp will not work with anything less than Win10 and I have a Win 8.1 license. I don't want to purchase windows 10, if it does not increase the performance of my GIS application- ArcGIS Pro. Had been using VM fusion for ArcGIS 10.6 but Pro will not work on a virtual machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I loose what remains of my mind.

Posted on Feb 11, 2019 11:38 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Feb 13, 2019 3:44 PM in response to Snowburned

I took the following steps.

Downloaded High Sierra from Apple

Installed the clean High Sierra on a USB drive.

• booted from the USB,
  • erased Mac HD and formatted as APFS
  • reinstalled High Sierra from the USB onto the cleaned HD
  • Used BCA to partition a windows drive
  • failed same error message
  • Your disk could not be partitioned
  • An error occurred while partitioning the disk. Please run Disk Utility to check and fix the error
  • ran sudo fsck_apfs -n -l /dev/rdisk1
  • result

warning: Overallocation Detected on Main device: (1769475+2) bitmap address (135c5)

warning: Overallocation Detected on Main device: (2401950+1) bitmap address (134ba)

warning: Overallocation Detected on Main device: (12256641+1) bitmap address (118aa)

warning: Overallocation Detected on Main device: (86951436+1) bitmap address (12fb9)

warning: Overallocation Detected on Main device: (87467036+1) bitmap address (13009)

warning: Overallocation Detected on Main device: (101365176+1) bitmap address (138c5)

How do I address Overallocation- is this what is preventing BCA from creating a Windows partition?

If I can't get this problem fixed I will have to switch to a windows machine, just can't justify the time wasted on this issue.

Frustrated in the snow.

Feb 14, 2019 6:16 AM in response to Snowburned

i installed Mojave on an external USB. Booted from the USB and ran first aid on the Macintosh HD then ran

sudo fsck_apfs -n -l /dev/rdisk1

output was the same warnings

overallocation

should I erase the internal drive and then install Mojave.

The overallocations persist after reformatting in High Sierra. Are sectors on the disk preserved during formating, if so how can the overallocations be eliminated?

thanks for your effort in solving this problem

Cannot create a Boot Camp Partition In High Serra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.