Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does it take my iPad Pro so long to connect to a captive network?

When I go to somewhere like Starbucks that has a captive WiFi hotspot and I connect to the network it takes my iPad anywhere from 2 - 5 minutes to display the captive login page. It connects immediately to a standard password protected network, but initial connections to captive networks are slow. Once I connect everything is fine.

Any ideas why this might happen or how I can fix it?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 12, 2019 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2019 8:45 AM

When you connect to WiFi, your iPad tests for internet connectivity - which you don’t necesarily have when initially connecting to a captive network - until you authenticate via the Network Operators captive user-portal. It is this automatic network connectivity test that introduces the delay.

Generally, the workaround is to open Safari prior to atrempting connection to the captive WiFi network, then switch directly back to Safari to complete the portal authentication process. Some portal operators provide a specifc App to assist with this process, however, you should be mindful of privacy issues introduced by third-party Apps.

Final work of advice - always distrust a public WiFi network and captive portals; always use a reputable (paid) VPN solution to safeguard your traffic.

Hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2019 8:45 AM in response to bdhoff

When you connect to WiFi, your iPad tests for internet connectivity - which you don’t necesarily have when initially connecting to a captive network - until you authenticate via the Network Operators captive user-portal. It is this automatic network connectivity test that introduces the delay.

Generally, the workaround is to open Safari prior to atrempting connection to the captive WiFi network, then switch directly back to Safari to complete the portal authentication process. Some portal operators provide a specifc App to assist with this process, however, you should be mindful of privacy issues introduced by third-party Apps.

Final work of advice - always distrust a public WiFi network and captive portals; always use a reputable (paid) VPN solution to safeguard your traffic.

Hope this helps.

Why does it take my iPad Pro so long to connect to a captive network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.