Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sudo

Can I recover the files deleted by Terminal command "sudo rm -r"

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 12, 2019 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2019 2:08 PM

Generally the answer is "No"

But as Allan Eckert says, if you have a backup get them from there.

If absolutely need those files and do not have a backup, stop using your Mac immediately, and contact a file recovery service. If you keep using your Mac, there is a chance the file system will give that storage to another file and it will be written over and completely lost.

File recovery services can be very expensive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2019 2:08 PM in response to IanLiu

Generally the answer is "No"

But as Allan Eckert says, if you have a backup get them from there.

If absolutely need those files and do not have a backup, stop using your Mac immediately, and contact a file recovery service. If you keep using your Mac, there is a chance the file system will give that storage to another file and it will be written over and completely lost.

File recovery services can be very expensive.

Feb 12, 2019 9:27 AM in response to IanLiu

Either restore from a backup or if not backup it is possible file recovery software may be able to recover the files for you.

Since I have never had any need for such software, I am not able to recommend one. Instead, I will provide the following link which review such software, https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/top-5-data-recovery-software-mac.html

sudo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.