Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro early (2009) keeps shutting down

Hi All

I have an early 2009 Mac Pro that was upgraded a while back to a 5.1 firmware and has been working fine until a few weeks ago. Nothing new has been installed so I have been going down the path to see what may be faulty. I seems RAM and Lithium battery appear fine.

Issues started with loss od connection to some things like WiFi, Ethernet and a PCI E card but has now progressed to the machine shutting down then re booting. In extreme cases this had also included not powering up at all.

I am running Sierra, 2 X 3.4gig 6 core processors. 32 gig RAM

Any advise would be appreciated.

Posted on Feb 12, 2019 6:55 PM

15 replies

Feb 13, 2019 12:32 AM in response to Davesounds

Look at the System logs at the time of the shutdown.

https://www.howtogeek.com/356942/how-to-view-the-system-log-on-a-mac/

A startup begins with a entry that includes BOOT_TIME. Therefore searching for that at the next startup. Post log entries before that. If you get error that you can't post since the pasted material is too long use the add text box which is circled below.

Feb 13, 2019 4:45 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks IIIaass

Tried searching for entry that includes BOOT_TIME on startup. How do I do that ? Tried following advice but thought I may have some answers here.

So had control app open during one of the shutdowns which hopefully gives a clue.

As the computer had locked up I took a picture with my phone if this does not help I can try follow you recommendation a little more closely.

Feb 16, 2019 10:38 PM in response to lllaass

OK thanks Illaass

I was able to locate a BOOT-TIME message and also locate messages immediately before. Not sure if any of these are telling so i will copy and paste. I have found this issue a now easily repeatable if i remove the fan if have now flowing difectly into the open chassis. Fill not falter with fan on. Assuming now this is heat (cooling) related.

Feb 12, 2019 8:16 PM in response to Davesounds

I am no pro here just an Apple user. Not sure if it is the same problem I am having with my Macbook Air. What is happening with me is that if I unplug my Mac after just a couple of minuets the thing dies? I figured it is that battery that has gone. So I now plug it in all the time. Is that what is happening with you? If so I can not tell you what to do only to keep the thing plugged in all the time. It is annoying but my I love my Mac and am never going back to PC. Best of luck to you

Feb 13, 2019 4:50 PM in response to Davesounds

Something else to note is that putting a fan next to the computer with the case open alleviated any issues this morning until I took it away and had two immediately. May be coincidence? Has been pretty hot here of late so have felt this may also be a factor though not as hot last couple of days. Still the Fan on high today seemed to give me no issues.

Mac Pro early (2009) keeps shutting down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.