Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not all iCloud photos are appearing on device

I logged out of iCloud on my iPhone to troubleshoot an unrelated issue. After logging back in, about half my photos are not showing up in the photos app. I have about 3000 photos in iCloud, but only about 1200 are showing up on my phone now. I’ve tried logging out and back in again, and toggling iCloud photos off and on, and nothing seems to change anything. I even added a new photo to favorites on iCloud.com, but that photo hasn’t shown up in favorites on my phone. Any ideas?

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 10:21 AM

You need to be patient after logging out of iCloud and back on. After logging out, all photos you are now having on your iPhone will first need to upload to iCloud and be merged into iCloud Photos. Once this upload has finished, the photos from iCloud will download to your iPhone. But every time you sign out of iCloud, the syncing will start over from scratch and it will just take longer, before your photos will download from iCloud to the iPhone.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2019 10:21 AM in response to siegelnj

You need to be patient after logging out of iCloud and back on. After logging out, all photos you are now having on your iPhone will first need to upload to iCloud and be merged into iCloud Photos. Once this upload has finished, the photos from iCloud will download to your iPhone. But every time you sign out of iCloud, the syncing will start over from scratch and it will just take longer, before your photos will download from iCloud to the iPhone.

Feb 13, 2019 1:40 PM in response to léonie

Well you called it. I put my phone down for a few hours this morning and then bam, there they were!

I’ll leave this note for anyone else: I was expecting the number of photos to gradually increase as the phone synced. However, that was not the case (for me anyway). At one point it jumped from being 1200 to the full total. So what I assumed was a bug was just the sync process going on in the background.

Patience...my old nemesis

Not all iCloud photos are appearing on device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.