Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Legacy Java SE 6 runtime. How can I get that for OS 10.14.2 Mojave?

Blurb's Booksmart app requires Legacy Java SE 6 runtime. How can I get that for OS 10.14.2 Mojave?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 12:36 PM

10 replies

Feb 16, 2019 2:02 AM in response to TeriA7

Thank you so much for the link. I can now use my favourite app, StereoMerger, again.

There are very few 3D editing apps for MacOS and Stereomerger seems to be the one that works best, despite its slowness and cludgy GUI so I’m very relieved to be able to use it again.

This Legacy Java 6 JDK seems to get knackered every time Oracle updates Java so I’m definitely bookmarking this thread for future use.

Feb 16, 2019 8:07 AM in response to TeriA7

It won't matter even if you install the correct legacy Java update from Kurt's link — If Blurb's Booksmart is otherwise application incompatible with Mojave.

Did you visit the Blurb site and download the Booksmart application update to see if it works with Mojave. They also have Bookwright, a new downloadable application that may have replaced the older Booksmart app which does not appear in their product lineup.

Feb 17, 2019 4:25 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Yes. The issue was that some some of my Apps that I use need, for whatever reason, the Legacy 6 version of the Java SDK. Oracle then appears to have raced off with it’s own new version of Java that either doesn’t require the SDK or has a new version. Apple recognised there are people like me with the Legacy 6 thingy on made this one themselves it seems..

All works fine except for when Oracle updates Java.

When I upgraded to Mojave I experienced no issues at all. No 'Update Java SDK' message and my 3D software continued to work fine.

That was until about two weeks after the MacOS upgrade when I was again prompted to upgrade Java. Every time I have installed a Java update for the last couple of years I have got the persistent message to intall the Java SDK. It doesn’t go away until the Legacy 6 installer has been run.

If I don’t do this my 3D software doesn’t run. I get the message to install the Java SDK before it will open. Unfortunately the author doesn’t communicate with anyone so I can’t press him (or her) for an upgrade. The only alternative is to delete the said 3D software. However there is no suitable software that does the same job on the Mac. The only real way to obtain a suitable alternative app is to buy a Windows PC. This is one of the few downsides I have found to owning a Mac. A lot of really handy software is PC only. Please don’t get me started on games.

Feb 17, 2019 7:11 AM in response to El Deanio

The SDK (Software Developer Kit) versions are different. Most Java apps don't need them.

It's possible one SDK is overwriting part of the other. That's just a guess on my part since I've never needed to install an SDK runtime version of Java. But it's the only thing that makes sense to me, since 8 and 6 otherwise have no clue each other exists.

You can't even get the SDK version of Java 6 from Oracle without being a paid support customer. That I'm aware of, Apple has never distributed their own SDK version.

Feb 17, 2019 7:11 AM in response to El Deanio

Yes. The issue was that some some of my Apps that I use need, for whatever reason, the Legacy 6 version of the Java SDK. Oracle then appears to have raced off with it’s own new version of Java that either doesn’t require the SDK or has a new version.

Your problem is neither Apple's nor Oracle's fault. The developer of the Java app you are using was too stupid to code it correctly to look for any appropriate Java version installed and hard-coded the app to only be able to use the Apple version. The only reason that was done was abject ignorance.

Legacy Java SE 6 runtime. How can I get that for OS 10.14.2 Mojave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.