Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 15 2018 2 external 4k monitors

Hello all,

After 25 years with Microsoft I have switched to MacOS and I am more than satisfied, but I have a small issue.

I have 2 LG 27UK850W monitors connected via USB-C to my 15'' Macbook Pro 2018.

First thing that happens is that notebook fans start to spin on max for 20 seconds since I login to Desktop.

Then that stops and they go back to ±2000rpm and temperature remains on 60C (140F) on idle. So there is no app running in background, CPU activity is 1-2%...

I have tried both ways to reset SMC, but option to do that by pressing command+option+right shift doesn't work because on press of a button macbook turns on.

Maybe I am just overreacting because touching the area around Touch Bar is **** hot and it supposed to be like that (I do know that using external monitors pushes dedicated GPU but does it really makes temperature goes 50% up?)

Thanks for help!

MacBook Pro 15”, 10.14

Posted on Feb 14, 2019 4:57 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 16, 2019 8:05 AM in response to vladimirdns

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

If the listed procedures for SMC reset are not working when you follow them faithfully (especially when it says Press-and-hold as ONE operation without releasing the button) then your Mac is broken and you should make a free appointment at the genius bar at an Apple-owned store.

They will provide an over the counter diagnostic and all the advice you need. They can show you how they were trained to perform an SMC rest on a mac with T2 chip.

Feb 14, 2019 7:46 AM in response to vladimirdns

Mac internal temperature is controlled in a feedback loop, by software running on the SMC.

When you activate the Discrete GPU (such as by using an external display) it powers up. Because of the burst of heat the Discrete GPU generates, the measured temperatures will show the temperature increasing, and the fans run higher to reduce the increase in temperature. Eventually, the air movement at high speed will produce a decrease in temperature, and the fan speed will be reduced to a quieter level.

You bought a high-end Mac with a lot of capability. To do what you ask it to, it generates a lot go heat. 60 degrees C is not excessive. Apple sells this as a Notebook computer -- they never said it was suitable for your lap.

If your displays run on ThunderBolt or DisplayPort family interfaces, they will run cooler. (Conversely, if you changed to HDMI your Mac could be even hotter, as HDMI still contains the "heartbeat" refresh required by CRT displays. Sending more data generates more heat.)

Macbook pro 15 2018 2 external 4k monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.