Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain on a *new* macbook pro 13 2018

Hi 

A bit long one but.. I’ve just bought (2 weeks ago) a brand new MacBook Pro 13-inch Touch Bar, and I immediately sensed that battery drains significantly quickly, around 3-4 hours usage, which kind of reminds me my old MacBook Pro  2013 battery time which I used till two weeks ago for exactly the same usage. 

I did a huge research about this issue including searching the web , asking colleagues who has similar Macbooks from the past year, and contacting twice Apple Support over the phone. Still so far no results, but a firm conclusion that a brand new MacBook Pro 2018 shouldn’t drain after 3-4 hours. 

So here is a breakdown of problem so far:

Tech spec:

MacBook Pro 13-inch Touch Bar, 2018 Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB). OS: Mojave 10.14.3

Most used apps: 

Chrome, Photoshop CC2019, Sketch, Dropbox, Whatsapp. Yes , I know browsers , specially chrome and specially google services are energy consuming. And so are photoshop and sketch. So I switched to Safari for the last week - a slight improve. But -  I noticed that on weekends when I usually use only web browsing with no graphics, the battery performance is quite the same as weekdays.  Talking  however with colleges who has up to 1 year old MacBook Pro with more or less the same usage , indicates 6-7 hours battery time. 

Battery Cycle Count :

20 (15 days of usage) . Also preform several battery tests with the Apple support over the phone and battery looks ok

Actions I did:

1. Optimizing energy saver to put hard disk to sleep, slightly dim the display and disable power nap
  2. Disabled location services (including find my Mac)
  3. Reset NVRAM 
  4. Reset SMC
  5. Switched from Chrome to Safari (slight improvement)
  6. Worked 2 days without no dropbox in the background
  7. Working on weekends with no cables connected rather than power connection when needed
  8. Made sure there are no battery loss during sleeping (battery losses around 3% during a night in sleep which sounds ok )
  9. Checking which app consume most energy. Checking the Activity Monitor every once in a while, Chrome is on top using Avg Energy Impact of 20-60. All the rest “heavy” apps uses around 15-25

None of these had a significant improvement , switching to Safari however improved it slightly. Talking with Apple support on the second time, I preform the following:

1. Re-installed Mojave from recovery mode (not erasing the whole files and apps)
  2. Tested working with chrome only in Safe Mode. I started the test with 85% battery and put stopwatch. After 1:28 hr of constant youtube, battery reached to 6% .
  3. Run apple diagnostics  -  no issues

I’m honestly on the verge of despair.. Paying $2400 for a new Mac pretty much reflects how important this machine for me , this extreme battery drain certainly doesn’t meet the expectations.  I’d appreciate if someone has another idea before I send it to a lab. thx.

MacBook Pro 13”, 10.14

Posted on Feb 16, 2019 7:14 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 16, 2019 8:33 PM in response to Kalyaniv

Read See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity

Checking the Activity Monitor every once in a while, Chrome is on top using Avg Energy Impact of 20-60.

That's enormous.

Google does not care if it consumes all your Mac's resources. All that matters to Google is that they are continually harvesting your personal information so that they can sell it, a resource-intensive process that uses copious amounts of energy. Google does not care if that means your Mac's battery doesn't last very long, or if your Mac doesn't perform very well. Its mission is complete. If that means you have to buy a new Mac every couple of years, I suppose Apple won't mind either.

So I switched to Safari for the last week - a slight improve(ment).

Merely not using Chrome is insufficient to rid your Mac of Google. It has to be uninstalled according to its instructions.

The following screenshots are from eight year old MacBook Pro whose battery lasts at least 6 hours between recharge cycles. It has never been infected with Google products:

That's what a Mac unaffected by Google looks. It's eight years old. If I used Google I probably would have had to replace this Mac years ago.

It's your Mac though, and your money. Use both as you see fit. If you are required to use Google products I suggest returning your Mac for a full cash refund and buying a Chromebook instead.

Feb 17, 2019 6:29 AM in response to Kalyaniv

I surmise I was not clear. Google Chrome is not just a browser. You cannot install Chrome without installing Google's full suite of additional "helpers" and other processes that run constantly regardless of whether you're actually using Chrome or not. Firefox doesn't do that. Brave doesn't do that. Opera doesn't do that. Unlike Chrome they are just browsers and were not developed for the sole purpose of harvesting, uploading, storing, and selling your personal information.

Activity Monitor's Energy tab tells you all there is to know: a sustained "Avg Energy Impact of 20-60" is enormous. If you want your Mac's battery to last, don't install Google.

... just like anyone else..

I don't.

It seems like if the worlds most popular browser will be the cause for draining half of mac's battery cycle, we should have heard about it a lot more.

I don't know how it's possible to not hear about it. Chrome's energy inefficiency is notorious regardless of the platform—Macs, Windows, Linux—and it's only grown worse over time. Your observation (half of mac's battery cycle) is approximately correct.

It only gets worse as Google pushes updates to your Mac in the background, making it difficult to correlate the sudden onset of poor performance or battery consumption to anything obvious.

You could almost make a case for the fact Apple and Google collude to ensure you're always buying new Macs. Almost. After all Apple gets a lot of money from Google... estimated to be about $10 billion this year alone, just to retain their position as Safari's default search engine. Google didn't get to be as successful as they did by being stupid.

Perhaps you shouldn't use Google to search for those problems. It's not as though it's a secret.

Feb 16, 2019 10:13 PM in response to John Galt

Thx for your answer

I'll try to uninstall chrome and report , but i'm still using google services just like anyone else..

It seems like if the worlds most popular browser will be the cause for draining half of mac's battery cycle, we should have heard about it a lot more. I used to work on Chrome on my 5 years old macbook pro and till two weeks ago and havent suffer any battery issues..

Battery drain on a *new* macbook pro 13 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.