Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail says "this version of Safari is no longer supported" even though everything is up to date (version 12.0.3) and there are no extensions

I have this very annoying problem that Gmail says "this version of Safari is no longer supported" even though everything is up to date (Mojave 10.14.3 and Safari version 12.0.3) and there are no extensions in Safari.

If I create a new user account and open Gmail there, the problem is gone, so it must be something in my settings, but what? I tried resetting Safari, also tried deleting its preferences from my library folder, but to no avail...

I would be most grateful for any hint!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 16, 2019 10:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2019 10:42 PM

Thanks for the swift reply!

This was not spam because it appeared above the email listing, plus www.godaddy.com complained about the same thing.

But I just now remembered that in the previous version of Safari the Develop menu allowed one to change the user agent, and even though the Develop menu was no longer showing after the Mojave update, that setting must have stuck, and sure enough, after re-enabling the Develop menu, I found that the user agent was not set to its default current version....

Sorry to have bothered you!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2019 10:42 PM in response to Murvon

Thanks for the swift reply!

This was not spam because it appeared above the email listing, plus www.godaddy.com complained about the same thing.

But I just now remembered that in the previous version of Safari the Develop menu allowed one to change the user agent, and even though the Develop menu was no longer showing after the Mojave update, that setting must have stuck, and sure enough, after re-enabling the Develop menu, I found that the user agent was not set to its default current version....

Sorry to have bothered you!

Feb 16, 2019 11:01 PM in response to Joncas

As a p.s. in case anyone else ever runs into this: The user agent in the Develop menu kept going back to my old "custom user agent" string. It turns out that in some past website development test I had changed it in the terminal by entering:

defaults write com.apple.Safari CustomUserAgent "\"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_0) AppleWebKit/601.4.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0.3 Safari/601.4.4\""

This has to be undone by entering:

defaults delete com.apple.Safari CustomUserAgent

Gmail says "this version of Safari is no longer supported" even though everything is up to date (version 12.0.3) and there are no extensions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.