Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

security update 2019-001 10.13.6 not installing after download

Several times after downloading this update and clicking the restart option, my Mac attempts to install it and the logging screen with a progress bar appears. The progress bar is almost complete when my screen flashes green blue and then Installer Log appears and a window pops up that update failed to install. This happens multiple times until I click cancel and my regular log in screen appears. Why is this happening?

MacBook Pro 13", 10.13

Posted on Feb 17, 2019 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2019 7:07 PM

The following assumes you’ve a complete and current backup on external storage. The following should not damage your files and your data, but there’s already something a little odd here, and your data is the hardest to recover if there’s something gone wrong.

Does shutting down and booting into Safe Mode allow the install? That rebuilds various caches, and also disables certain add-on software.

Are there any add-on anti-virus or anti-malware packages, any system cleaners or performance optimizer add-ons, or related packages installed here? Shut those down and remove them as a test, using the vendors’ provided removal documentation.

If Safe Mode and shutting off and removing any add-ons hasn’t helped, make a complete backup on external storage, then install the 10.13.6 combo update, then see if that allows subsequent updates to install. That combo update should not cause problems for what’s been installed nor,should it alter your own files, but can sometimes allow subsequent updates to be processed correctly.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2019 7:07 PM in response to lexie92

The following assumes you’ve a complete and current backup on external storage. The following should not damage your files and your data, but there’s already something a little odd here, and your data is the hardest to recover if there’s something gone wrong.

Does shutting down and booting into Safe Mode allow the install? That rebuilds various caches, and also disables certain add-on software.

Are there any add-on anti-virus or anti-malware packages, any system cleaners or performance optimizer add-ons, or related packages installed here? Shut those down and remove them as a test, using the vendors’ provided removal documentation.

If Safe Mode and shutting off and removing any add-ons hasn’t helped, make a complete backup on external storage, then install the 10.13.6 combo update, then see if that allows subsequent updates to install. That combo update should not cause problems for what’s been installed nor,should it alter your own files, but can sometimes allow subsequent updates to be processed correctly.

security update 2019-001 10.13.6 not installing after download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.