Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security update 2020-005-10.13.6 hangs when attempting to apply update.

My my mid 2011 iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 hangs when attempting to apply this update.

Restart leads to black screen with white cursor in top left corner for unlimited amount of time. Shutdown with power button and restart resumes regular use, but update is still not installed.

I've tried safe mode without success.

Apple Support says "legacy systems" need help from authorized service provider, or from internet. Any ideas?

Any way to download the file and apply manually?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 3:44 PM

Try the standalone Security Update 2020-005 (High Sierra) in Safe Mode...

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2053?locale=en_US

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup).

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 3, 2020 4:18 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you so much. 👍🏻

I asked the Support agent if that was available and I was told I just had to go to a private provider or look it up on the Internet. I’ve never been so disappointed in Apple Support and I’ve been with them since my first Mac which was an SE 30. Thank you so much. I asked the Support agent if that was available and I was told I just had to go

Oct 5, 2020 9:37 PM in response to BDAqua

Yup. I have the same issue, and safe mode didn't help. Issue is still: the restart fails, and the update doesn't install. The computer appears to try and restart, but the result is a black screen with mouse cursor in the upper left corner of the display.

I haver also tried downloading the standalone and installing, updating from App Store, and using softwareupdate from single user mode, safe mode, regular mode, and from Cmd+R recovery mode using terminal and softwareupdate.

Not sure what to try next...

Oct 13, 2020 5:36 PM in response to brichter

Yay Apple Support! /s

Was told that this update didn't apply to 10.13.6, even though I dloaded the standalone specifically for 10.13.6 from the Apple Support site. Then I got passed to another Senior Tech adviser, with no resolution except to upgrade to Catalina. This was after spending an hour and a half on the phone trying all the things I had already tried, with no success. :-|

Nov 15, 2020 4:17 PM in response to Dave in Dallas

Mid 2010 iMac 27" here with 16GB RAM. Secutiry update 2020-005 completely crashed the masching and had to reinstall macOS and, and am not doing the Security update until further maturity. I think this is the last OS upgrade available to me, as in either my hardware is maxed or Apple is no longer allowing this age hardware to be supported, which would be surprising.

Security update 2020-005-10.13.6 hangs when attempting to apply update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.