Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari redirecting … is it my fault or The Weather Channel

Hi.

Recently I have been noticing that on my iPad 2018 (iOS 12.1.4), I am being redirected away from The Weather Channel when I am using Safari. It attempts to go to another website, but I get a “Deceptive Website Warning,” which I know is Apple’s warning. I also noticed that I can’t load Weather Underground certain times of the day using Safari. It just gets stuck loading, but I am able to load Weather Underground using Chrome (but it occasionally redirects me to a spam website). This is only happening on my iPad, not my iPhone or my MacBook Pro. Is this a problem on my end? I’d rather not clear my history and website data unless I know there is a problem on my end.

Edit: I just noticed that The Weather Channel is redirecting me to the same link as Weather Underground (but Safari gives me a warning for The Weather Channel but does not let Weather Underground even load). This is also ONLY happening on The Weather Channel and Weather Underground. It is not every single website being redirected.

Posted on Feb 17, 2019 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2019 8:28 PM

My money is on a bad ad on the weather channel’s site. As i recall their page is about 60% ads, 40% weather so very likely for something malicious to creep in. Especially since you say it only happens on the site.

They may or may not be aware and may or may not care. Your choices are to use a browser with better ad blocking or to not use the site.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2019 8:28 PM in response to ChrispyT

My money is on a bad ad on the weather channel’s site. As i recall their page is about 60% ads, 40% weather so very likely for something malicious to creep in. Especially since you say it only happens on the site.

They may or may not be aware and may or may not care. Your choices are to use a browser with better ad blocking or to not use the site.

Feb 19, 2019 3:15 AM in response to ChrispyT

Installing one of the better Adblock Apps is often overlooked by users of iOS devices. This single step is one of the most effective defences available, within iOS, in mitigatating risks introduced by malicious websites (and, to a certain extent, page redirects). One of the most sophisticated and configurable available Adblockers is 1Blocker X (and for older devices, 1Blocker Legacy). The App is regularly updated.

1 Blocker is device resident, leaving you in control rather, than relying on a dubious external DNS-Proxy service that bypasses your preferred DNS server settings and harvests your browsing activity. 1Blocker goes beyond simple Adblocking - allowing customisable catagory and/or site blocking, whitelisting (both and partial) and custom rules.

Another valuable defence is to ensure that you always use a good DNS source, such as Quad-9 (9.9.9.9) or OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). These services are designed to “black-hole” known “bad” sites; as with all such defences, this isn’t a perfect solution, but goes a long way to helping protect against nefarious websites.

Where possible, to ensure maximum protection, these DNS servers should be configured on your Home Router; if this is not possoble, they should be set within your iOS WiFi Network Settings. Other DNS sources are available, but not all are biased towards mitigation of web-bourne security exploits.

For avoidance of doubt, whilst I use 1Blocker myself across all my iOS devices, I have no other affiliation with them whatsoever. My recommendations are based solely upon observed App performance (and that of external independent evaluation and published test results) and best security practice.

I hope you find this information useful.

Safari redirecting … is it my fault or The Weather Channel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.