Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd Gen case

Yesterday I upgraded from an iPad Pro 12.9" 1st Gen to a 3rd Gen. The first thing I did was buy Apple's Smart Folio, expecting that it would fit my iPad snugly, protecting it fully, like the Apple case (or Folio, or whatever it's called) did on my 1st Gen iPad Pro.

Well, it doesn't. The sides, edges, and corners are exposed. It's disappointing that it doesn't protect the sides/edges and corners. What's the point of spending that much money if it won't help keep this device safe?

Does Apple not sell the same type of case for the 3rd gen as it did for the 1st gen?

iPad Pro, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 21, 2019 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2019 8:11 AM

The Zugu Muse case has received good reviews and appears to offer a high degree of protection (I don't have one myself): it's available from Amazon USA but not so far in the UK: it's not cheap, of course.

https://www.amazon.com/ZUGU-CASE-Muse-Case-Protective/dp/B07K1M4PHY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549816021&sr=8-3&keywords=zugu+case+ipad+pro+12.9

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2019 8:11 AM in response to FrostyOfTheNorth

The Zugu Muse case has received good reviews and appears to offer a high degree of protection (I don't have one myself): it's available from Amazon USA but not so far in the UK: it's not cheap, of course.

https://www.amazon.com/ZUGU-CASE-Muse-Case-Protective/dp/B07K1M4PHY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549816021&sr=8-3&keywords=zugu+case+ipad+pro+12.9

Feb 21, 2019 8:36 AM in response to FrostyOfTheNorth

The STM Dux Plus range have a good repution - and whilst they are not cheap, neither are they astronomically expensive. Here are the models for the 2018 iPad Pro 11” and 12.9”:

https://www.stmgoods.com/product/dux-plus-ipad-pro-2018/

I’ve had good experiences using the STM Dux plus range with the previous generation of iPad Pro 10.5. The cases are quite bulky, but then they do provide 2m drop-protection onto concrete!

Whilst there are many cheap options, good “full-protection” cases for the iPad Pro models don’t appear to be commonplace.

Feb 22, 2019 3:51 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought I had answered already but for some reason my answer isn't appearing.

The STM Dux Plus looks like a good option for heavy duty protection but I mostly just want a case that will protect the iPad from getting scratched and dinged without being too bulky.

I've bought JETech cases for other iPads and they've been excellent (very similar in shape and quality to Apple's Smart Case) and at a fraction of the price, but they don't seem to offer a case for the iPad Pro 12.9 3rd generation.

So... I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Feb 22, 2019 5:49 PM in response to FrostyOfTheNorth

I have a priced slightly cheaper, similar designed case to the Zugu Case ( made by a different maker on Amazon, but practically the same type/style of design ) for my older and larger, 2015, 1st gen iPad Pro.

This Zugu-like case is made of a thick rubberised plastic and rubberised silicone all covered in simulated leather ( pleather ) and it is fairly light, not too bulky and does not add much in the way of additonal weight to my iPad Pro.

Offers really good and stiff hard case protection to my iPad Pro with a good amount a different working/viewing angles that get held by strong magnets.

Feb 23, 2019 12:39 PM in response to FrostyOfTheNorth

It doesn’t really matter for your new, 2018 iPad Pro.

I was just giving you a general description of the Zugu cases available for your iPad Pro based on my case from a different maker's design, which is a nearly identical design to the Zugu cases but was $20 dollars cheaper ( $50 instead of $70 ) and my case has one less viewing/working iPad angles and has a built-in/moulded case location for the Apple Pencil.

https://www.zugucase.com/the-muse-case-for-2018-ipad-pro-12-9-in-3rd-gen/

I see the Zugu case for your new iPad Pro will not be available until mid March, but that is only approx. 2-1/2 weeks away and it will be a great case for your iPad Pro, if you decide to purchase, as it has an additonal storage pocket for the Apple Pencil.

The Zugu case has protection of the iPad Pro all around and has been tested to protect an iPad from a 5-foot drop!

The case I have is made by a mobile case maker, called Ztotop.

This case/case design is NOT being offred direct from the maker/manufacturer’s Website, but through Amazon and they aren't making/producing a similar, Zugu-like iPad case design for the new 2018 iPad Pro models, at present.

This is what I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J9JLG7Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1..

Compare it to the Zugu Muse case.

I needed a replacement case/cover combo that was as strong, rigid and stiff and durable as Apple’s original backcase.

After 3 years, the hard rounded corners of my Apple backcase were starting to chip off and the smart cover internal microfiber covering was starting to breakdown on some of the smart cover edges.

Apple doesn't make this backcase for the 2015/2017 iPad Pro models, any longer and other sellers that may still have a few of these left in stock are asking double the price that Apple used to charge for this protective backcase.

Zugu is the top durable case maker for iPads. Followed by UAG.

I was going back and forth between the iPad Pro case I have now, from Ztotop, and the Zugu cases, myself.

I just didn't really want to pay the $70 U.S.D., plus tax for the Zugu case and found a more reasonably priced very close, similarly-design version of the Zugu case that would save me a little money.

Unfortunately, this style/designed case is not available from this case maker or other any case maker for the newest iPad Pro models, at this time.

Zugu is the only case maker offering their uniquely designed cases for iPads/iPad Pros, currently.

If my case is any indication, the Zugu case should be just as good or better in design and build quality and should protect your new iPad Pro quite well.

Best of Luck to You!

iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd Gen case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.