Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Table of Contents Greyed Out Pages Version 7.3

I am trying to insert a table of contents into a Blank Book pages template measuring 14.22 x 10.67

I have created the Title and headers. The text was preformatted.

I am not collaborating or have my document in iCloud.

Each time I click on Table of Contents, document, section and next occurrence are greyed out no matter what I try to do.

How do I fix this problem?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 22, 2019 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2019 4:44 PM

You can generate a table of contents in a Portrait or Landscape word processing document — because there is body text to work on, and apply paragraph styles too.

All of the Book templates are Page Layout documents which have no body text, and depend on Text boxes to hold placeholder text. Although to a limited extent, you can apply existing and new paragraph styles to the Text box content, you cannot generate a Table of Contents from that Text box content.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2019 4:44 PM in response to jayzeebe

You can generate a table of contents in a Portrait or Landscape word processing document — because there is body text to work on, and apply paragraph styles too.

All of the Book templates are Page Layout documents which have no body text, and depend on Text boxes to hold placeholder text. Although to a limited extent, you can apply existing and new paragraph styles to the Text box content, you cannot generate a Table of Contents from that Text box content.

Feb 23, 2019 12:23 PM in response to jayzeebe

The non-blank, Book templates have paragraph styles that can generate ToC. The blank Book template has minimal paragraph styles, but if you use these, or new ones of your own creation, you will be able to select Table of Contents from the Insert menu. I just did that. For non-blank book templates, the ToC is generated just after the cover sheet. Also just tested this. All with Pages v7.3.

Feb 23, 2019 1:19 PM in response to VikingOSX

I would love to know what you are doing that I am not doing.

I have been at this for 3 weeks.

I want to make a landscape book with the measurements listed above.

I tried a non-blank template, I tried a blank template and I even tried to create my own. No matter what I try, unless I use a horizontal book template, I cannot get the TOC buttons to un-gray.

It doesn't matter if I use a page layout or a word processing document, each time I click on <insert> <table of contents>, every single option is gray. I cannot select it.

Feb 23, 2019 5:10 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you.

Can you address the issue that whether I use a page layout or word processing document...

whether I use a book template or a blank page...

whether I select inside a text box or not...

The TOC keys are greyed????

That means, I cannot select ANY of the keys to add a TOC.

FYI... the blank landscape template has body text

Feb 23, 2019 7:34 PM in response to jayzeebe

JZB wrote: "I would love to know what you are doing that I am not doing."

Perhaps if you provided the missing details of 'what you are doing', Viking would be able to determine what you are missing.

It would be convenient if Viking were standing behind you, looking over your shoulder, and could see your screen and your keystrokes.

"Can you address the issue that whether I use a page layout or word processing document..."

That has been addressed: TOCs can be created automatically only for documents containing text in the Document Body. Page Layout documents do not contain a Document Body. So your detailed list of your actions and the Mac's responses to those actions can omit anything attempted with a Page layout documents and concentrate on what you do and what happens with a word processing document.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 23, 2019 8:46 PM in response to Barry

Barry, I am going to overlook that it seems like your response reads a bit on the sarcastic side. Completely unnecessary.

Otherwise, thank you for your help.

What has finally made sense to me is that a word processing document has a text box and a page layout document also has a tex box. To me, they look the same but now I am clear they operate differently.

Viking said, "All of the Book templates are Page Layout documents which have no body text, and depend on Text boxes to hold placeholder text. Although to a limited extent, you can apply existing and new paragraph styles to the Text box content, you cannot generate a Table of Contents from that Text box content."

Viking, I apologize that I didn't understand the difference between placeholder text vs body text inside a text box related to a page layout vs word processing document. To me, placeholder text seemed to appear the same as body text. Viking, thank you for your due diligence in trying to help me understand.

Barry, I appreciate the clarity.

Feb 23, 2019 10:08 PM in response to jayzeebe

"Barry, I am going to overlook that it seems like your response reads a bit on the sarcastic side. Completely unnecessary."

No sarcasm intended. Just pointing out something that gets overlooked by many people posting questions here—we can't see what you see. The devil's often in the details, and if the OP doesn't provide the details, it's just a guessing game at this end.

Regards,

Barry

Table of Contents Greyed Out Pages Version 7.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.