Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

face syncing in photos

Hi. I accidentally dragged my photos library to a different folder on my hard drive (I had meant to copy it to an external hard drive, and my finger slipped). First of all, when I dragged it back, it was very difficult to get it to copy back properly, involving restarting a few times and recovery mode. But secondly, all my recognized faces had now disappeared.

Of course I'm quite frustrated about that, but I'm also curious — the face recognition is still there on my iOS devices, all the faces I'd had — so shouldn't iCloud be syncing those up? I'd think this would be quick, and the Mac would have all those faces again, but the Mac has been telling me it has zero faces scanned for hours.

Any way then to encourage iCloud to sync the face recognition data between iOS and macOS?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 23, 2019 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2019 6:44 AM

The syncing of faces with iCloud will start, once the face detection has completed on your Mac.

Then you should be seeing the suggested faces from iCloud, when you open one of the albums for a person and look at "confirm additional faces".

Instead of dragging the Photos Library back and syncing it again with iCloud, it might have been quicker to create a new, empty library on your Mac in the Pictures folder and to enable it as your iCloud Photos Library. This would have save the upload to iCloud. The library would just download from iCloud to your Mac and you would have saved the merging with the existing library.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2019 6:44 AM in response to bldonnell

The syncing of faces with iCloud will start, once the face detection has completed on your Mac.

Then you should be seeing the suggested faces from iCloud, when you open one of the albums for a person and look at "confirm additional faces".

Instead of dragging the Photos Library back and syncing it again with iCloud, it might have been quicker to create a new, empty library on your Mac in the Pictures folder and to enable it as your iCloud Photos Library. This would have save the upload to iCloud. The library would just download from iCloud to your Mac and you would have saved the merging with the existing library.

Feb 23, 2019 4:13 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for your quick replies!

One last question....I've created a new photo library and turned on iCloud for it, and made it the system library. Won't get rid of the other one til this one is updated, and I've backed up the old one as well. Question: is it better to have Photos OPEN for iCloud to update the new library, or is it better to CLOSE Photos?

I've heard various things...some say it's better to leave it on but in the background, and others that it only happens when it's closed.

Thanks!

face syncing in photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.