Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos doesn't recognize faces at all

I bought a new mabook pro afew weeks ago, and installed it as a new devices (no restore).

Since I have an iCloud account for many years, I've synced it with my Photos app on a brand new Photos Library.

Took a while to get all the pictures sync, and many hours for Photos to make its magic and analyze all the pictures from my library. After one day of work, the "Peoples" section of Photos is empty, no faces were recognized.

I decided to check to add manually some name to faces, and I could see that Photos see were the faces are, but doesn't actually feed them or group them by the same face. Where I can assign a face to X photos automatically or say that I recognize a face, that Photos didn't.

All the nice advertisement of Apple in that regard seems not to apply in my case...

Yesterday, I upgraded to Mojave, and hope that it will work. No. It didn't work, even by repairing my Photos library (which took again an entire night to re-analyze all the pictures again).

I still have the pictures I have manually recognized, but nothing automatic.

Even if I add a new picture with a face it doesn't work.

So someone has an idea what I do wrong? Is there some hidden settings somewhere that needs to be activated?

Maybe I have deactivated something in the past, and I don't remember having done so. But that would have been several years ago on other devices, that I might not have anymore...

Thank you in advance for your help.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Mojave (10.14), mid-2018

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 11:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 1:34 AM

I decided to check to add manually some name to faces, and I could see that Photos see were the faces are, but doesn't actually feed them or group them by the same face. Where I can assign a face to X photos automatically or say that I recognize a face, that Photos didn't.

All the nice advertisement of Apple in that regard seems not to apply in my case...

The face detection obviously worked. Photos detectec the faces in the photos.

Now it needs tor recognize similar faces as the same person.

Initially Photos will add only persons to the People album where it recognized the same person in at least 15 different photos. Perhaps for your library all people albums are still below this undocumented limit. To get Photos started, name a few faces of people that you want to see in your People album by typing the name below the face and then open the People album for these people. Occasionally you will see an invitation to confirm additional faces. Then do this. If you do not see "confirm additional faces" at the top of the album, call this manually using the command at the bottom of the album?

After you named a few photos directly from the photo of the person you may want to check, if you now have duplicate albums for some people. Then merge them by dragging the duplicates on top of each other. But before merging albums it is essential to look into the album and check, if Photos accidentally included wrong faces. Those will need to be corrected before merging albums.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2018 1:34 AM in response to Little Green

The face detection obviously worked. Photos detectec the faces in the photos.

Now it needs tor recognize similar faces as the same person.

Initially Photos will add only persons to the People album where it recognized the same person in at least 15 different photos. Perhaps for your library all people albums are still below this undocumented limit. To get Photos started, name a few faces of people that you want to see in your People album by typing the name below the face and then open the People album for these people. Occasionally you will see an invitation to confirm additional faces. Then do this. If you do not see "confirm additional faces" at the top of the album, call this manually using the command at the bottom of the album?

After you named a few photos directly from the photo of the person you may want to check, if you now have duplicate albums for some people. Then merge them by dragging the duplicates on top of each other. But before merging albums it is essential to look into the album and check, if Photos accidentally included wrong faces. Those will need to be corrected before merging albums.

Photos doesn't recognize faces at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.