Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant requests to sign in to imessage

Hi,

I'm having a problem on my MacBook Pro, where every time I start up my computer I am asked to sign in to iMessage (actually called Messages on the Mac, but well done Apple for creating an incorrect login screen as well as a non-essential app I can't delete).

I have never logged in to Messages. I never want to log in to Messages. I don't know anyone I would contact via Messages. I do not have any other Apple products so I would never care about syncing.

Please can someone tell me how to stop these stupid messages? I have to quit the screen 3 times every time I boot up my computer because it appears at 5 minute intervals. I can't access the app Preferences tab because I don't have, nor want to have, this app set up on my computer. I have switched off the 'handover' option under General in System Preferences.

If I need to do something in Terminal, could someone give me the steps, please? I have deleted things before but I'm not confident I'll know what I'm looking for or what the search term(s) should be.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 23, 2019 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2019 12:38 PM

Hi.

I wasn't signed in to iCloud, so I logged in then out, restarted my computer and still got the message.

I did notice something probably significant, though. It's asking for my old Apple ID. I'm not sure why it's asking for my old password when I have never logged in using it. I think I changed my ID maybe 6 months ago, but I'm not sure when the messages started - probably shortly after. It sounds like there's some kind of ID check regardless of registration and it's finding a mismatch.

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your help so far.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2019 12:38 PM in response to andreafromadelaide

Hi.

I wasn't signed in to iCloud, so I logged in then out, restarted my computer and still got the message.

I did notice something probably significant, though. It's asking for my old Apple ID. I'm not sure why it's asking for my old password when I have never logged in using it. I think I changed my ID maybe 6 months ago, but I'm not sure when the messages started - probably shortly after. It sounds like there's some kind of ID check regardless of registration and it's finding a mismatch.

Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your help so far.

Feb 24, 2019 3:46 PM in response to Twig55ad

After you or your Mac administrator resets the password of your macOS user account, your Mac might ask you to update your keychain password or enter the password of your login keychain. It might also tell you that the system was unable to unlock your login keychain. That's because your login keychain is still using your old password...

If you don't know your old password

If you don't know your old password, the solution is to create a new login keychain.

If you know your old password

If you know your old password, use that password to update your existing login keychain:

1. Open the Keychain Access app, which is in the the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
  2. From the list of keychains on the left side of the window, select "login." 
  3. From the Edit menu in the menu bar, choose “Change Password for Keychain 'login.'”
  4. Enter the old password of your user account in the Current Password field. This is the password you were using before the password was reset.
  5. Enter the new password of your user account in the New Password field. This is the password you're now using to log in to your Mac. Enter the same password in the Verify field.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201609

Feb 24, 2019 2:51 PM in response to BDAqua

I also found that the pop-up was asking me to use my old Apple ID. I wrote this in a post above:

I changed my ID maybe 6 months ago, but I'm not sure when the messages started - probably shortly after. It sounds like there's some kind of ID check regardless of registration and it's finding a mismatch.

Is there any way of clearing any reference to an old ID across the system?

Constant requests to sign in to imessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.