Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On my iPad2 l cannot activate Message (but I can see messages from years ago) nor can I activate FaceTime; I get “FaceTime activation error” no matter which App I try to start first. WiFi is up and good, valid Apple ID, no iPhone. Advice?

On my iPad2 l cannot activate Message (but I can see messages from years ago) nor can I activate FaceTime; I get “FaceTime activation error” no matter which App I try to start first. WiFi is up and good, time valid, turned off apps, restarted iPad, turned on apps, valid Apple ID, no iPhone. Advice?

iPad Air 2, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 24, 2019 6:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2019 8:53 AM

Hey John Medaglia,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to activate iMessage, but you received an error message. I would recommend you use this article to help troubleshoot the issue.

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2019 8:53 AM in response to John Medaglia

Hey John Medaglia,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to activate iMessage, but you received an error message. I would recommend you use this article to help troubleshoot the issue.

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

Feb 26, 2019 5:34 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks for response from Joseph_S.

I tried the advice in the article without success multiple times.

I am on an iPad2 in the USA with IOS 12.1.4, Internet & email working, and time zone correct. In have restarted iPad. Reachable is set to Apple ID email (xxx_comcast.net), and since I have no compatible phone, there is no reachable phone#.

I cannot sign on when prompted by iMessage; I get “FaceTime activation error” when I try to start iMessage.

I cannot sign on when prompted by FaceTime; I get same error.

On my iPad2 l cannot activate Message (but I can see messages from years ago) nor can I activate FaceTime; I get “FaceTime activation error” no matter which App I try to start first. WiFi is up and good, valid Apple ID, no iPhone. Advice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.