Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Turn Off FileVault

About this Mac:

macOS Mojave 10.14.2

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

3.3 GHz Intel Core i5

3.12 TB Fusion Drive

8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

I originally turned on FileVault because someone in the community recommended it to prevent the black screen that occurs randomly after logging into macOS Mojave.

Now I'm having all sorts of issues with FileVault on:

• Unable to properly shutdown/restart the iMac without it idling in a load-state indefinitely. Can only do hard shutdown by holding power button.
  • Unable to software update macOS. The iMac completely crashes and needs manual restart (see Photo below). I've tried Combo Update as well. Doesn't work.
  • Unable to run First Aid on my Macintosh HD without the system freezing and the screen go black.
  • Bluetooth Keyboard and Magic Mouse disconnect after each hard shutdown/restart.

I'm at my wit's end because I've been trying to find solutions online of how to turn off FileVault, but nobody seems to have my specific FileVault problem. As shown in the photo below, it says my FileVault encryption has already finished but the "Turn off FileVault..." button is still greyed out. I've tried the Terminal method which is to type in "sudo fdesetup disable" but doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I'm going to have to backup and wipe my iMac which I'm really not looking forward to.

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 24, 2019 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2019 1:19 AM

Did anyone find a way around turning off FileVault? I am experiencing the same error message when trying to disable from Terminal "FileVault was not disabled (-69595)".

The problem is I can no longer use Time Machine because it says "Time Machine did not back up because FileVault was encrypting or decrypting a disk. Backups will resume once FileVault finishes.".

Any ideas on how to manage this? The only thing I can think of is to restore an old backup, but I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2019 1:19 AM in response to Henry Liau

Did anyone find a way around turning off FileVault? I am experiencing the same error message when trying to disable from Terminal "FileVault was not disabled (-69595)".

The problem is I can no longer use Time Machine because it says "Time Machine did not back up because FileVault was encrypting or decrypting a disk. Backups will resume once FileVault finishes.".

Any ideas on how to manage this? The only thing I can think of is to restore an old backup, but I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS.

Feb 24, 2019 5:56 PM in response to Henry Liau

As a test verify you are issued a secure token for your admin user—

From the Application/Utilities/Terminal.app replace the "username" in this command line, with your logged in admin, then copy and paste:

sudo sysadminctl -secureTokenStatus username

(note: psswd will not echo on screen)

Is the output from entering the command < Secure token is ENABLED for user " " > ?

Apr 10, 2019 1:27 PM in response to nitrovapor

Yes!

Unfortunately, it's rebooting the whole computer to factory setting. That was the only way I found that would get rid of this issue.

My guess is, for me personally, that the issue happened when I turned FileVault on and must've accidentally turned off or hard reset the Mac at one point while it was in the middle of encrypting.

Let me know if you find another solution. Good luck!

Cannot Turn Off FileVault

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.